Did I add pods or just green water?

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finished its cycle and I decided to add some hermit crabs and some pods to 'test' the waters as it were.

The pods were purchased at my local fish store. I've been going to this fish store for years and have always seen these bags of green water hanging out by the checkout counter. Until I got into saltwater recently, I didn't know they were pods. Today I bought a bag of 'apocalypse pods' and added them to my tank. But before I added them I looked pretty closely at the bag trying to find them. I couldn't see anything moving in the bag.

Reading online it looks like I should have been able to see something....??

So did I add pods or was it just a bag of green water with all the pods long dead?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finished its cycle and I decided to add some hermit crabs and some pods to 'test' the waters as it were.

The pods were purchased at my local fish store. I've been going to this fish store for years and have always seen these bags of green water hanging out by the checkout counter. Until I got into saltwater recently, I didn't know they were pods. Today I bought a bag of 'apocalypse pods' and added them to my tank. But before I added them I looked pretty closely at the bag trying to find them. I couldn't see anything moving in the bag.

So did I add pods or was it just a bag of green water with all the pods long dead?
Hard to know at this point...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Ive purchased pods where I thought the same to see a few weeks later . pods in my filter socks

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, am I right in thinking they are big enough to see with the naked eye? I should have seen them in the bag, or when I dumped the bag?
If you held the bag up to the light and didn't see anything, then you probably ended up with just green water. Pods are TINY and you would not see them as you dumped them in the tank

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you held the bag up to the light and didn't see anything, then you probably ended up with just green water. Pods are TINY and you would not see them as you dumped them in the tank

This is what I worried about. These pods were also just sitting out at room temperature and I don't see a lot of turnover of them in the store which has me worried about them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many copepods are SUPER tiny.
For my old eyes, I shine a flashlight on the bag/bottle and look at it with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything swimming around...

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I will probably buy some more pods to be safe. I didn't use a magnifying glass but I also didn't see anything moving when I looked in the bag with light from a window.

Any thoughts on which pod species is best for a seahorse tank where temperature is 69 to 72?

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cyclops are pretty small in the copepod species category but you should have been able to see the fully grown adults ( you won't see the nupuli with the naked eye ). I would also start dosing some sort of phyto based product as this helps with the copepod populations

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pods from algae barn weren't in green water. Mix of adult and new hatchling. Mostly clear water barely visible pods. Self perpetuating population thru 3 different tanks from using rocks from original tanks.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the pods from algae barn weren't in green water. Mix of adult and new hatchling. Mostly clear water barely visible pods. Self perpetuating population thru 3 different tanks from using rocks from original tanks.
Why was this a response to my post?

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure the green aspect is the phyto. I was more concerned that I couldn't see anything moving and after reading online it seems like I should have. To be safe I have ordered new pods from a reputable online vendor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back