Did i break my skimmer?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nyos quantum 120 is in my sump in 9.5 inches water but never been running. I ordered a riser and its arriving tomorrow. I didnt break it by having the skimmer that long in 9.5 inches water but wasnt running correct?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be just fine. Might want to take the pump apart and clean it to get any bacterial snot out on the impeller.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still clean actually its only 3 weeks old. No algae yet.
Yep, you're good to go. For some reason my little mind was dreaming that your skimmer had been sitting in water for multiple months. That's still new and ready to go.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind it can take a week or longer for a skimmer to break in and it will be overflowing with bubbles during the break in period.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind it can take a week or longer for a skimmer to break in and it will be overflowing with bubbles during the break in period.
What is mine doing? Im confused?

Attachments

• 20220922_195817.mp4
    12 MB

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's typical of a new skimmer break in period. Pull the drain plug or remove the cup and let it over flow into the sump for a few days. Eventually it will settle down. You also have to adjust the air intake and water flow out. Set it for as dry skim as you can for the break in time.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's typical of a new skimmer break in period. Pull the drain plug or remove the cup and let it over flow into the sump for a few days. Eventually it will settle down. You also have to adjust the air intake and water flow out. Set it for as dry skim as you can for the break in time.
Remove the whole cup? Its not overflowing now sitting at the edge can i leave it?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres bubbles in the unit itself. Im mad confused do i leave it or what should i do
Don’t get mad . When you turn it around on , If the bubbles are massively overflowing into the cup you want to let it spill back into the sump without spilling out of the sump or you can adjust the level to where the bubbles just come up to the neck . I didn’t watch your video as breaking in a skimmer is pretty straight forward and the same for all skimmers . The breaking in cycle is basically building up a slime coat over the plastic vessel . You can just wait til your new part comes in tomorrow before turning it on .

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get mad . When you turn it around on , If the bubbles are massively overflowing into the cup you want to let it spill back into the sump without spilling out of the sump or you can adjust the level to where the bubbles just come up to the neck . I didn’t watch your video as breaking in a skimmer is pretty straight forward and the same for all skimmers . The breaking in cycle is basically building up a slime coat over the plastic vessel . You can just wait til your new part comes in tomorrow before turning it on .
What part? Its already on the riser i already have it on the riser. The part is jere

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it’s broken in you will have to tune it to your liking whether you want to skim wet or dry

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nyos quantum 120 is in my sump in 9.5 inches water but never been running. I ordered a riser and its arriving tomorrow. I didnt break it by having the skimmer that long in 9.5 inches water but wasnt running correct?
Ok then are you asking how to break it in ?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres bubbles in the unit itself. Im mad confused do i leave it or what should i do
He basically said what you should do

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back