Did I just get taken for an idiot buyer?

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought these 2 torches from a site online and they were a couple hour drive away from me so no shipping stress was involved. I paid 1000 for the both and wanted to know if maybe they were just stressed and the color will return or if it's a completely different one and it was falsely advertised. Since the quarantine restrictions here I was not able to go in and see it in tank so it was shriveled up in the to go bag. but maybe you can confirm if the color loss would be this extreme as the person says

First is a pic of what I thought ordered a holy grail torch , second is in the tank after 4 days. It's on with heavy blues and an orange lense filter just like how the guy had said his lights were. Also played with a bunch of different lighting as well

Third pic is what I thought I was getting and fourth is what's in my tank now. The guy is saying it's 100% what I ordered and the color will come back on 2 weeks

Screenshot_20211229-202452_Kijiji.jpg 20220102_114050.jpg 56552E3A-7CE8-4F3B-93FE-9F9A5E2D5470.jpeg 20220102_114357.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your picture lighting isn't great and there's not a huge amount of detail But the structure does look sight, there are color similarities.

Is a single head of each colony worth a grand? Who knows. The value is up to you, but I wouldn't start screaming yet.

Torches are notoriously whimpy and drama queens when it comes to being moved. If the supplier you got them from is a few hours away, there was still Some shipping stress involved. Take plenty of pictures to document, but I'd say to hold on tight for another while.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,give it time to settle and open,compare mouth colors , although 500$ is quite steep for a single head... ;)
Yeah I'm gonna give it another week. It was my Christmas gift to myself and I was saving a long time to get these specific corals.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your picture lighting isn't great and there's not a huge amount of detail But the structure does look sight, there are color similarities.

Is a single head of each colony worth a grand? Who knows. The value is up to you, but I wouldn't start screaming yet.

Torches are notoriously whimpy and drama queens when it comes to being moved. If the supplier you got them from is a few hours away, there was still Some shipping stress involved. Take plenty of pictures to document, but I'd say to hold on tight for another while.
Yeah I'm gonna wait. Thanks this relieves me a bit. I know they do get stressed and I can see some similarities as well. Just wanted to check with other people first before. I really hope the color comes back. I've gotten torch frags before that have never lost any color this extremely.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm gonna wait. Thanks this relieves me a bit. I know they do get stressed and I can see some similarities as well. Just wanted to check with other people first before. I really hope the color comes back. I've gotten torch frags before that have never lost any color this extremely.
I've bought a bunch of torches from professional pictures.

I have grown to learn that unless I'm running the Exact same lights as the pic was taken under, don't expect it to look identical.

Water parameters, flow and lighting intensity will all have a say in what it looks like, in your box of water.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that's always tough, specially when you didn't get to see it in person.

I'll say, front view vs top view can really make a difference in viewing and coloration but it shouldn't be night and day.
Yeah I'll take a pic later when I turn off the pumps and can get a good top down pic. But even then it's quite different. The 3rd pic has green swirling to the mouth. The one I got is deep purple with to signs of any other color. The holy grail one does get to a more noticeable green by the mouth so that gives me hope but It still seems extremely different

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought a bunch of torches from professional pictures.

I have grown to learn that unless I'm running the Exact same lights as the pic was taken under, don't expect it to look identical.

Water parameters, flow and lighting intensity will all have a say in what it looks like, in your box of water.
Yeah I'm running the ai hydra 32 so I played around with the different colors. I asked the guy and he said max blues with 6% whites is what he runs ok the same light. I am gonna wait a bit though, maybe the green will start popping out soon

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also worth saying that a head from those colonies that was growing on a relatively shaded side might be less colored up than the ones you can see from a top down shot.
Sounds reasonable. But does it look like it's close to the same thing? And if that's so will the color return after a while. It was a lot of money for me so what I got and what I was thinking I would get was a bit of a shock

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai hydra 32 on saxxbys settings but lower whites overall. Very easy to play with different colors on this light
I bought a gold torch recently and was lucky enough to pick up in person. The colors were phenomenal when I picked it up
26A8F56D-C3C9-4132-9B8C-5B6235149643.jpeg
after I brought it home i was thinking the colors weren’t as hot but maybe a week later and it’s definitely perking up in my tank.
7BEF9318-7B8C-4FF4-B63F-FD4CC586331F.jpeg

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a gold torch recently and was lucky enough to pick up in person. The colors were phenomenal when I picked it up
26A8F56D-C3C9-4132-9B8C-5B6235149643.jpeg
after I brought it home i was thinking the colors weren’t as hot but maybe a week later and it’s definitely perking up in my tank.
7BEF9318-7B8C-4FF4-B63F-FD4CC586331F.jpeg
Man this is exactly what I was hoping to see!! Awesome!! I feel like the holy grail torch is gonna come back in color as it has similar looks. But the indo gold one on the third pic looks like a completely different torch

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is exactly what I was hoping to see!! Awesome!! I feel like the holy grail torch is gonna come back in color as it has similar looks. But the indo gold one on the third pic looks like a completely different torch
The indo def doesn't look happy. Possibly a fresh import and the picture may have been taken at the peak of health...Hopefully you can bring it back with some proper parameters and a good feeding schedule.
Bill Murray Reaction GIF

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back