Did I just get taken for an idiot buyer?

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my example. When I first got one of my torches home, vs a month later top down and frontal views.

PXL_20210601_205240414.MP.jpg

PXL_20210813_172447415.MP.jpg

PXL_20210813_172659503.MP.jpg
First pic looks like whites are on max, second and third look super nice :) is it all the same lighting? But this gives me hope as well! Thanks for comparison.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic looks like whites are on max, second and third look super nice :) is it all the same lighting? But this gives me hope as well! Thanks for comparison.
Just posted another shot. That first one under whites isn't a great comparison. That second post however is with the blues.

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
So I bought these 2 torches from a site online and they were a couple hour drive away from me so no shipping stress was involved. I paid 1000 for the both and wanted to know if maybe they were just stressed and the color will return or if it's a completely different one and it was falsely advertised. Since the quarantine restrictions here I was not able to go in and see it in tank so it was shriveled up in the to go bag. but maybe you can confirm if the color loss would be this extreme as the person says

First is a pic of what I thought ordered a holy grail torch , second is in the tank after 4 days. It's on with heavy blues and an orange lense filter just like how the guy had said his lights were. Also played with a bunch of different lighting as well

Third pic is what I thought I was getting and fourth is what's in my tank now. The guy is saying it's 100% what I ordered and the color will come back on 2 weeks

Screenshot_20211229-202452_Kijiji.jpg 20220102_114050.jpg 56552E3A-7CE8-4F3B-93FE-9F9A5E2D5470.jpeg 20220102_114357.jpg
This is why you don’t buy from Ramez in Richmond hill. He’s a well known scammer who edits the hell out of photos. Sorry he took your money as he did for many others.

he changed his name for sales by the way as he’s a known scammer. He goes by mark or something now. Coralcavecanada sells through reef4sale.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back right is the same torch in store prior to me bringing it home.

Attachments

• PXL_20210531_161950036.mp4
    14.1 MB
OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you don’t buy from Ramez in Richmond hill. He’s a well known scammer who edits the hell out of photos. Sorry he took your money as he did for many others.
dang you know exactly who I got it from. His website looks so professional and amazing coral.... Well now I know I'm an idiot. I should have went with candy corals in Mississauga. His just looked so amazing and so well taken care of.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

he changed his name for sales by the way as he’s a known scammer. He goes by mark or something now. Coralcavecanada sells through reef4sale.
Did he take you for anything? Or just other people complained on here? Took me months to save up for these. Slightly losing my equanimity now lol. Well thanks for the info. I think I already learned not to buy from him anymore. But he just said they were stressed from moving and will bounce back in a couple weeks. I wanted to check here if others went through the same thing.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a little confused by this post. The following terms have no useful hits on the search feature of this site: "Ramez in Richmond hill" "Coralcavecanada" and "reef4sale".

Was there a smoking gun that OP should have seen?

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused by this post. The following terms have no useful hits on the search feature of this site: "Ramez in Richmond hill" "Coralcavecanada" and "reef4sale".

Was there a smoking gun that OP should have seen?
I have no idea how he exactly knew where I got it from. I mentioned nothing of where I got it from and he was bang on. I'm still not sure though the coral could bounce back to what I thought I was getting though, from other people's input. I'm desperately hoping it is the same ones though that I got. I didn't wanna ruin anyone's reputation by name though until I was certain. It just looked much different and was hoping for some input lol.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that puts 500 dollars on a coral IMO ... is ... I don't know what to say dude.

Give it 2 weeks and if it doesnt look the same then get your money back.

Otherwise don't buy corals that expensive until you have more experience.
What does experience have with buying coral? I've bought lots online and they all turned out to be the same thing I ordered.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what happens when you go on a cheap and only spend $1000 US&A bucks.. Better go and find a $10,000 torch - that will surely be a properly prized super-yellow-duper-torch..

Bloo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I've only been in the hobby for under 2years at this point and have had only 3 torches (2 green tip and one dragon soul), but in my experience, the color would only intensify when shriveled since the colors get compact the smaller the touch gets. My dragon soul when ticked off almost looks like a holy grail when it shrivels up, and it isn't until it inflates that you can obviously tell its a dragon soul. I would wait a bit and see if it does manage to color up on the off chance I'm completely wrong, but from the pics at least, it doesn't look like the same coral to me. Oh and like some others have said, I have never seen a Torch lose its color especially to that extreme. Hope I'm wrong and you don't have to go through that headache.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wondering about the back story here .
Same here. I’m about an hour from the gta. Luckily I have one guy in town who works for candy corals and another guy both of who have good setups out of their houses but I’m always looking around on classifieds so don’t want to run into this guy.

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I've only been in the hobby for under 2years at this point and have had only 3 torches (2 green tip and one dragon soul), but in my experience, the color would only intensify when shriveled since the colors get compact the smaller the touch gets. My dragon soul when ticked off almost looks like a holy grail when it shrivels up, and it isn't until it inflates that you can obviously tell its a dragon soul. I would wait a bit and see if it does manage to color up on the off chance I'm completely wrong, but from the pics at least, it doesn't look like the same coral to me. Oh and like some others have said, I have never seen a Torch lose its color especially to that extreme. Hope I'm wrong and you don't have to go through that headache.
Yeah man, my old hellfire I got I had the exact same experience. The color was crazy when it wasn't fully extended for the first 2 days I was very impressed how insanely yellow the tips were. Then it got very happy and extended like crazy and it just wasn't as intense but still beautiful. I was watching on YouTube a guy unboxing an overnight shipped holy grail and it looked exactly like what the picture I attached was just shrivelled. I can't imagine how stressed it was for a full day of shipping and bouncing around for 20 hours and it still looked amazing. I even had my kryptonite torch freshly fragged the next day and then I brought it home and it lost no color. I'm a bit confused now though as some people say it lost color and 2 weeks later it came back and then others say no. I'm a bit annoyed that some guy here though knew exactly where I got it from even though I mentioned nothing about it as I wanted to get some confirmation first before saying anything negative. Today is day 5 though and I haven't noticed anything different in color yet. The so called "holy grail" he sent me though still looks amazing I think, but for $650 I would expect a very healthy colored frag. But I'll keep it posted if it comes back for others who go through the same issue. Thanks for the encouragement though :)

OP
OP
Placenta89

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I’m about an hour from the gta. Luckily I have one guy in town who works for candy corals and another guy both of who have good setups out of their houses but I’m always looking around on classifieds so don’t want to run into this guy.
Yeah and candy coral had a sale on the holy grail for 529.99 as well. They sold out fast though and only had the reverse one. I usually like buying from other local reefers because I found a lot of them take such good care of their tanks and have a better selection than my lfs usually. I would be careful for now though if you come across it. I'll let you know if it turns out good though. Candy corals has a far superior selection for rarer coral compared to fragbox. You'll see though this guy is all over Kijiji and is one of the top searches on Google for coral for sale in the GTA. Fingers crossed.

Coral Love

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
So I bought these 2 torches from a site online and they were a couple hour drive away from me so no shipping stress was involved. I paid 1000 for the both and wanted to know if maybe they were just stressed and the color will return or if it's a completely different one and it was falsely advertised. Since the quarantine restrictions here I was not able to go in and see it in tank so it was shriveled up in the to go bag. but maybe you can confirm if the color loss would be this extreme as the person says

First is a pic of what I thought ordered a holy grail torch , second is in the tank after 4 days. It's on with heavy blues and an orange lense filter just like how the guy had said his lights were. Also played with a bunch of different lighting as well

Third pic is what I thought I was getting and fourth is what's in my tank now. The guy is saying it's 100% what I ordered and the color will come back on 2 weeks

Screenshot_20211229-202452_Kijiji.jpg 20220102_114050.jpg 56552E3A-7CE8-4F3B-93FE-9F9A5E2D5470.jpeg 20220102_114357.jpg
Do you have any close shots?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back