Did I just get taken for an idiot buyer?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it but there's not a whole lot you can do about it. This happens alot in this hobby. I've found that holy grail today usually means widely available later. Look at the sticks people pay crazy money for and then in a few months you can get them for a fraction of the cost once people start fragging them. Be patient and never impulse buy and the price you are comfortable with will appear. There are no price lists for livestock. It comes down to what someone is willing to pay that seems to set prices.
True; but no matter the cost, selling someone wysiwyg corals and giving them different pieces is a whole different thing.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man after reading stuff like this so often, I now realize how spoiled I am by having a couple good lfs's within a few miles of my house or the many all over SoCaL. I do buy online from two vendors only on here as i always get what I ordered. But nothing beats seeing it with your own eyes in person.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to dislike torches a bit, love the way they look and flail around , but dang it if they aren't finnicky things.

Had a gorgeous 24K torch with about 3-4 heads. Melted within a week (turns out it was a 'bad batch') and got a free replacement. 2nd one started off much better, but after a month or two decided to throw a hissy fit as well. (turns out this was my fault too as phosphates were high), but still, first thing in the tank to crack it.

Moved my purple torch which had cracked it previously but come back from it, from it's spot at the front of the tank to put the 24K to be front and centre (same height level in the tank more or less, just in a spot about 10-20cm away), it proceeded to have a hissy fit and one head died off within a few weeks (left at same height level in the tank more or less so not a lighting change), the other looks a lot smaller than it used to and weird.

My Green torch seems to be doing ok, despite going through the high phosphates. It's had a couple of sooks, but it's faring pretty well.

My 24K gold torch with its one glooby blob head seems to be trying to hang in there, but it looks like a blob for the most part and not pretty at all. Hopefully it hangs in there long enough for me to sort out my doser when it comes and then I can get some stability in the tank and hopefully everyone happy.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to dislike torches a bit, love the way they look and flail around , but dang it if they aren't finnicky things.

Had a gorgeous 24K torch with about 3-4 heads. Melted within a week (turns out it was a 'bad batch') and got a free replacement. 2nd one started off much better, but after a month or two decided to throw a hissy fit as well. (turns out this was my fault too as phosphates were high), but still, first thing in the tank to crack it.

Moved my purple torch which had cracked it previously but come back from it, from it's spot at the front of the tank to put the 24K to be front and centre (same height level in the tank more or less, just in a spot about 10-20cm away), it proceeded to have a hissy fit and one head died off within a few weeks (left at same height level in the tank more or less so not a lighting change), the other looks a lot smaller than it used to and weird.

My Green torch seems to be doing ok, despite going through the high phosphates. It's had a couple of sooks, but it's faring pretty well.

My 24K gold torch with its one glooby blob head seems to be trying to hang in there, but it looks like a blob for the most part and not pretty at all. Hopefully it hangs in there long enough for me to sort out my doser when it comes and then I can get some stability in the tank and hopefully everyone happy.
Definitely flakier than frogs or hammers. A torch with three heads can melt two and the other looks perfect. The frogs and hammers are saying "what problem?" We knew 30 years ago that torches need a well matured tank to flourish. That knowledge got abandoned for $$$.

Back