Did I just mess up my FOWLR cycle?!

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have started cycling my new 37 gallon FOWLR tank with pure ammonia from ACE since I saw that my LA’s Totally Awesome was a no go. So I am at the point where my ammonia is going down within 24 hours, High nitrites still, and nitrates are present. Today I put 2ml of the LA’s Totally Awesome in my tank on accident. No bubbles formed and I tested my water and it BARELY raised the Ammonia level. The bottle of LAs is like YEARS old. I then put a little of my pure ammonia in and now the level is fine. Did I totally screw up my cycle or will the one little dose of the LAs mean I have to start over? Guess I figure I’ll just monitor my levels and see what happens.
Oh by the way this is a fishless cycle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia as in liquid ammonia from grocery store?
If so- huge no-no
Cold water rinse immediately and keep running cold water until you can’t smell Any trace of it and Pray

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia as in liquid ammonia from grocery store?
If so- huge no-no
Cold water rinse immediately and keep running cold water until you can’t smell Any trace of it and Pray
What do you mean cold water rinse? I’m saying that I have started a fishless cycle for a FOWLR tank, and have been dosing pure ammonia for a couple of days. Today I used the wrong bottle of ammonia and used the LAs Totally Awesome ammonia, which I have read likely has surfactant or whatever in it. So I’m saying did that one small dose just mess up my whole cycle or will that small of a dose one time really do that much damage?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok- was confused with type of ammonia
If your bacteria cultures are active and working, it will break it down and should not disrupt the cycle
For the suffocants, carbon should help

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back