Did I luck out and get flat worms?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologize for video quality, hopefully it's good enough. Are these those dreaded acro eating flat worms?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologize for video quality, hopefully it's good enough. Are these those dreaded acro eating flat worms?

While those are flatworms, I don't believe they are AEFW. There are FW's that benign and those appear to be that type. I have the same type in my coral QT and they are just part of the normal pod population. Never did any harm to any of my corals.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While those are flatworms, I don't believe they are AEFW. There are FW's that benign and those appear to be that type. I have the same type in my coral QT and they are just part of the normal pod population. Never did any harm to any of my corals.
I second this, unless we have specific reason to suspect AEFW (aka the usual signs), then that would not be my first guess as to type of flatworm.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your acropora losing chunks of tissue? There are many different types of flatworms, so I'd be hesitant on putting these into that class on a video alone. Bring up a Google search on polyclad flatworms, click over to the images tab, and you'll get the idea.
If your next Google query is common aquarium flatworms, you'll get a bunch more info.
If we're going with id from the video, these are most likely herbivores or detrivores, and resident pretty much all the time. I can't remember their scientific name, sorry.
You can try any one of number of wrasse to help control population if you like, such as a six-line (I've got one in my 300 that's a hoot).
Cheers,
Ray :cool:

p.s. just found it:

Amphiscolops; acoel flatworm, Ghost Flatworm​

Last edited:
OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your acropora losing chunks of tissue? There are many different types of flatworms, so I'd be hesitant on putting these into that class on a video alone. Bring up a Google search on polyclad flatworms, click over to the images tab, and you'll get the idea.
If your next Google query is common aquarium flatworms, you'll get a bunch more info.
If we're going with id from the video, these are most likely herbivores or detrivores, and resident pretty much all the time. I can't remember their scientific name, sorry.
You can try any one of number of wrasse to help control population if you like, such as a six-line (I've got one in my 300 that's a hoot).
Cheers,
I don't have any acros yet, mostly LPS and a bird's-nest which seems to be doing ok. Funny enough I didn't spot these in my DT. I recently pulled my chaeto from my sump and threw it in a tank I grow pods in and saw them there a week later. No DT water has touched that tank until then so it had to come in with the chaeto I moved over. I had two chalice go belly up recently with what appeared to be some sort of RTN but not sure if that was coincidence or not...

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers,
Oh, also I do have two wrasse in my DT (a red fin fairy and a rhomboid). Would those pick at flat worms?

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit and miss with wrasses using them as a food source. I'd hesitate to put a Six-line or other non-fairy-type wrasse in with your two current; bullying might become an issue. Populations of these critters seem to be self-regulating, but can look funky if they "get out of hand" and such.
I wouldn't resort to chemicals to attempt to eradicate, as they can repopulate very rapidly after treatment anyway and shouldn't be harmful if left alone.
Cheers,

OP
OP
RobB'z Reef

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit and miss with wrasses using them as a food source. I'd hesitate to put a Six-line or other non-fairy-type wrasse in with your two current; bullying might become an issue. Populations of these critters seem to be self-regulating, but can look funky if they "get out of hand" and such.
I wouldn't resort to chemicals to attempt to eradicate, as they can repopulate very rapidly after treatment anyway and shouldn't be harmful if left alone.
Cheers,
thanks Ray! Yeah wasn't looking to chuck more cats in to eat the rats as it were. The two wrasses I have get along great and not looking to upset that apple cart. Hopefully these things aren't a problem. I don't see them anywhere on the glass in my DT currently but I know they must be in there somewhere haha.

rgulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of things in our reefs that we really (don't) want to see. The key is to try and differentiate between those that actually cause problems or cause us harm and those that we can "bring along for the ride" of maintaining a little reef. I shut down a little 20 gallon a number of years ago, and was surprised by a bristleworm about six inches long and a half inch across under a rock. It was perfectly happy being a detrivore in that environment, and if I hadn't shut down that aquarium I don't know how many years it would have remained unseen.
This really is a great hobby!
Cheers,

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely NOT AEFW. Too fast; too skinny. This one is about 1/3" long.

IMG-4558.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back