Did I make a bad choice - sand sifting sea star

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a sand sifting sea star (white/brown) for my 180 gallon reef b/c I wanted whiter sand... I also want to purchase a mandarin for my reef and have been adding Tisbe copods to my tank to up the population before I add my mandarin. Tank is mature...

Will the sand sifting star eat the copod population I am trying to make explode in my reef? I also purchased a sea cucumber and 2 trochus snails. I have not seen the trochus in a few days? Will they kill/eat my copod population?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a sand sifting sea star (white/brown) for my 180 gallon reef b/c I wanted whiter sand... I also want to purchase a mandarin for my reef and have been adding Tisbe copods to my tank to up the population before I add my mandarin. Tank is mature...

Will the sand sifting star eat the copod population I am trying to make explode in my reef? I also purchased a sea cucumber and 2 trochus snails. I have not seen the trochus in a few days? Will they kill/eat my copod population?
I’m not sure about the nassarius, but yes starfish do tend to much on the population - They rarely use the rocks where the mandarin tends to hunt so they shouldn’t really matter, especially from the size of tank.

coral_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a sand sifting starfish in my reef tank for many years and love it! It is a vital part of the ecosystem. Doesn't seem to diminish the copepod population, but I don't have many fish (only 3 in a 45 gallon tank).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back