Did I make a mistake buying a skimz calcium reactor?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both sides clamped and I moved the co2 input to where the top circulated to. If you look at my video on calcium reactors on YouTube it shows it pretty well. Look up herbys reef on YouTube.

looks to be a design issue then i would say

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely think so. Geo does not do it the same way and I will go with one of those next time
thanks for your tip as i have asked BRS concerning the same issue but got no reply . it is so frustrating

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s weird. They took about a week to respond to me each time, but they were very responsive. I was going to buy a geo but I tried this fix and it has been fine since then. I hope it works for you also.

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this old thread. I have the same ca rx and it sounds like a harrier jet. Can anyone give an update on if bypassing the co2 recirculation caused any performance issues? Thanks!

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stumbled on this old thread. I have the same ca rx and it sounds like a harrier jet. Can anyone give an update on if bypassing the co2 recirculation caused any performance issues? Thanks!
I bypassed the recirc around the time I started this thread and I have no further issues. My co2 still lasts forever and no jet in the house!

David

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dumbed down for me, you just close off both sides of the T at the top and connect the bubble counter out line to the input by the pump? Thanks a million for the quick reply!

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Yes. I think you have it. Just to be sure though, I will attach a picture of where I have the bubble counter. Sorry it’s so blue

David

4124ACDE-62CC-4EFB-B9AA-F6A7F98E75D2.jpeg

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes excellent just did this. Only had 1 ball valve so I used plumber's putty on the other end until I can clamp them both properly. Thanks again I appreciate it big time.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help! This has made the reactor work perfect for me. I had mine blocked with ro tubing that I squeezed with a clamp to keep it blocked for the longest! Let me know if you have any questions or issues

JPergamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a different room now in my finished basement I cant believe what a difference that made. I took the pump off and thought a piece of media was stuck in the prop before luckily finding this.

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like a different room now in my finished basement I cant believe what a difference that made. I took the pump off and thought a piece of media was stuck in the prop before luckily finding this.
I was about to throw mine away and buy a geo! I tried this as a last ditch! Glad it worked for you.

wilsantiago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently started a calcium reactor on my tank. Have it running with a carbon doser regulator, masterflex peristaltic pump, and a skimz cm122. I have a mixed reef with mostly lps and a clam. My calcium and alk demands are low compaired to most of you sps guys, but I wanted a system that is set and forget. My understanding was to buy nice feed pump and regulator, but reactors are mostly the same. I have had so much trouble with air build up in the reactor. It is not air leaking in from the room because if I run it with co2 off, no air builds up. When I turn on the co2, 12 to 24 hours later it sounds like a washing machine from all the air swishing! Even if I only run 1 bubble per 4 to 10 seconds. It has huge air bubbles flowing all through the reactor. I run the masterflex at about 30 ml per minute and currently have ph around 6.9. From what I can tell the skimz design is similar to the other reactors, so I wonder if I am doing something wrong? It is in my living room so the noise is a major issue. Any suggestions? If I throw this thing away and buy a vertex or geo will they have the same problem? Does anybody see a design flaw on the skimz? Brs has a video where they set the same unit up. I have asked brs and all though they have seemed to try and help me, they have been unable to come up with a solution.

Thanks so much,

David
I have the same reactor, I was getting a ton of air in the reactor. If you look on the pump that came with the reactor, there is a plastic orange cap like fitting on the circulation pump, you need to turn it all the way until you cant turn it anymore. No where in the instructions I saw this mentioned. I think its to allow air in if you wanted. Once I did this, the reactor was silent and perfect! Hope it helps anyone that comes to this thread in the future.

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know about the orange knob either. I'll check mine to see what position it's in.

Instead of upgrading to a new reactor, think about adding another chamber. I added a seaside aquatic 2nd chamber and was able to keep ALK up.

20190912_204639.jpg

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same reactor, I was getting a ton of air in the reactor. If you look on the pump that came with the reactor, there is a plastic orange cap like fitting on the circulation pump, you need to turn it all the way until you cant turn it anymore. No where in the instructions I saw this mentioned. I think its to allow air in if you wanted. Once I did this, the reactor was silent and perfect! Hope it helps anyone that comes to this thread in the future.

can you tell me which direction the orange knob should be to fix this? Vertical or horizontal? Having the same issue and would be appreciated before I try anything else. Thanks

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me which direction the orange knob should be to fix this? Vertical or horizontal? Having the same issue and would be appreciated before I try anything else. Thanks
You will know the correct way, the air noise stops instantly

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange dial on the pump appears to be a flow control valve. When I turned mine completely horizontal my reactor ph went up significantly in a short amount of time.

JCSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The orange dial on the pump appears to be a flow control valve. When I turned mine completely horizontal my reactor ph went up significantly in a short amount of time.
Turned it and is still happening. I use a ecotech versa and push the water through the reactor but no luck. Still get the dreaded sound and co2 or air trapped.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back