Did I order the wrong live phyto type to culture?

Deisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just bought a new phyto culture disk from Florida Aqua Farms, through a UK seller (ZM systems).

I bought the Nannochloris oculata marine microalgae 1.5 - 2.5um through their website. I bought it because it has 'oculata' in its name and I assumed it is the common phyto of 'nanno oculata' that people always refer to.

But I just had another look, and they actually have Phytodisk microalgae Nannochloropsis (Japanese Chlorella) 4-6um, and this 'Nannochloropsis' seems to be the correct one? Because everytime I see people mention it, they always say 'Nannochloropsis' or 'Nannochloropsis Oculata', but never 'Nannochloris Oculata' (which is what is written on ZM's website).

I just want to culture the most common type 'Nanno Oculata', but am now really confused between these two.

Anyone can confirm if I bought the correct one please? Really appreciate it!

Regards
Deisler

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deisler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The common one would be nannochloropsis
Thank you.

Do you know if Nannochloris Oculata is even a thing? I ordered mine because of 'Oculata' (obviously my own fault).

I will culture what I have now but when I order nannochloropsis next time I will probably write to them if their Nannochloris name is indeed confusing.

Last edited:

ddtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nannochloris oculata is also known as Nannochloropsis oculata.

Back