Did I ruin these magnets to my gyre?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my gyre in a tub full of water and some white vinegar to clean the bin and gyre, and now after I took it out it looks like this in my pic. It looks like the magnet cover is peeling off and the glue underneath is showing. I left it in the bin mixing for 24 hours. Could I clean that off and use it or oils that be too risky?
Is that dangerous to put into my rodi water mixing station? I was going to use this gyre for mixing my salt water. Can I buy the magnet separate? Thanks

52CAA52B-8BD1-43C2-A471-F218A3FC3493.jpeg 9B741A9A-748B-4B95-A211-4674917BA7AB.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the part that goes inside the tank? Because it looks like the side that goes outside the tank. If it goes outside the tank it basically wouldn't matter how 'rusty' it gets as long as you are careful not to scrape up your glass dragging it into position. On the other hand, if it is the inside piece, I'd say it's shot. But for a mixing station you could probably use the grye to mix by just letting it hang mid-mixing-barrel by the cord. Who cares if it flops around a little in there-- it's mixing. (lol) Best wishes!

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the part that goes inside the tank? Because it looks like the side that goes outside the tank. If it goes outside the tank it basically wouldn't matter how 'rusty' it gets as long as you are careful not to scrape up your glass dragging it into position. On the other hand, if it is the inside piece, I'd say it's shot. But for a mixing station you could probably use the grye to mix by just letting it hang mid-mixing-barrel by the cord. Who cares if it flops around a little in there-- it's mixing. (lol) Best wishes!
Yes it’s the piece that goes inside the tank attached to the gyre itself. Dang that’s too bad I didn’t think it would be ruined that fast Lol. Yeah I will do that like you said the gyre is cleaned now so it’s in good shape. I can just let it sit in my mixing barrel

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. But I'm glad I suggested just letting it hang, for now. Maybe in time you can ask around for someone with a broken gyre of the same make and size, who wouldn't mind just giving you the piece you need, since they are just going to toss it anyway. Best wishes! :)

PS: Have you read-up about the advantages of Citric Acid (sold at BRS) over vinegar-- especially when it comes to magnetic components?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the magnet is shot, don’t use it anymore. You may be able to find a used magnet part from someone who has a dead unit.
Also, for future pump cleaning it is safe to use citric acid.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back