Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am probably going to be dosing LC for a while. I ordered the 500ml Phosphat-E. Much better value than the product I am using now ( thanks @excell007 ) I also learned that the phosphate tests cant tell the difference between free floating phosphate and phosphate that is bound to the LC and unusable.
Cheers! Mark

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am probably going to be dosing LC for a while. I ordered the 500ml Phosphat-E. Much better value than the product I am using now ( thanks @excell007 ) I also learned that the phosphate tests cant tell the difference between free floating phosphate and phosphate that is bound to the LC and unusable.
Cheers! Mark
Does that mean the phosphate test is unbinding the phosphate from the lanthanum?
Does that also mean that the particles need to be filtered out before testing, or is giving them a day to settle out sufficient?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that mean the phosphate test is unbinding the phosphate from the lanthanum?
Does that also mean that the particles need to be filtered out before testing, or is giving them a day to settle out sufficient?
I dont believe it is "unbinding" I think settling or filtering out are both fine-maybe? As I understand, if is free or bound but in the water column, the test will recognize it. This is part of what I was reading:

Notes: Phosphate test kits may show a false-positive reading after aquarium has been treated; this is a result of the chemical mechanism by which phosphate test kits operate and does not indicate that the product has failed to perform its intended function. The higher the percentage of bound phosphate removed by filtration, the more accurate test kit readings will be.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided for now I am going to drip into the CPR overflow box. Mixed today's dose (15 drops into 500ml of RO) and will drip it all day. While just dumping the dose all at once into the reef is the easiest, I got to thinking there might not be enough phosphate in the area I dose quickly into and it may attack alk? This way there should always be some phosphate for the LC to bind to, then the water passes by 2 separate skimmers.
Cheers! Mark
1603037690122.jpeg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems positive. Now, what will it take to keep it there?
Silly Murphy, you know it only went down because you ordered more LC right?
With all the rock I have, it will take probably a couple months (maybe longer?) before it is stable. I am ok with a regular dosing schedule. I am thinking maybe test and drip every 2 or 3 days moving forward.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped getting notified of this thread! ugh.

Looks like you are doing good, I was curious about the phosphate rx high price tag per dose! The best is actually phosban-L for price/dose, and rx is the most expensive haha

I have my 10um sock inside a 1um sock to filter everything out, I am running a dedicated pump in the sump to pump water through the sock and then dripping the product in the sock, everything is set up, prodcut arrives tonight!

I am above 5.0ppm phosphate after a 50% w/c this weekend, must be leaching out quick!

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am above 5.0ppm phosphate after a 50% w/c this weekend, must be leaching out quick!
it took me 4 months to get from >4 to 1.5, I am not continuesly dosing though, depending on the number I will normally dose for 2-3 days then stop for 1-2 weeks and see where the number is at. Rocks will leach as soon as the level on the water is less than what's on the rocks.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took me 4 months to get from >4 to 1.5, I am not continuesly dosing though, depending on the number I will normally dose for 2-3 days then stop for 1-2 weeks and see where the number is at. Rocks will leach as soon as the level on the water is less than what's on the rocks.

The tank is only a year old and was below 0.5 until just a few months ago, it shot up quick! I cant imagine there is much bound to rocks.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped getting notified of this thread! ugh.

Looks like you are doing good, I was curious about the phosphate rx high price tag per dose! The best is actually phosban-L for price/dose, and rx is the most expensive haha

I have my 10um sock inside a 1um sock to filter everything out, I am running a dedicated pump in the sump to pump water through the sock and then dripping the product in the sock, everything is set up, prodcut arrives tonight!
Yea, I had watched the video for it and pulled the trigger before I did price research. Oh well, cheaper than GFO! I just ordered a bottle of Phosphat-E, seems a lot cheaper.
Are you dosing yet??

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so opposed to decreasing po4, I dosed disodium phosphates and just poured the whole 250ml of 3 table spoons into the sump. Now the whole tank is cloudy like milk. Hopefully this won't stress my live stock. How was I supposed to dose it? Slowly? Did I do it right? Should I hav nothing to worry? So confused right now and worried about my livestock. #reefsquad

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so opposed to decreasing po4, I dosed disodium phosphates and just poured the whole 250ml of 3 table spoons into the sump. Now the whole tank is cloudy like milk. Hopefully this won't stress my live stock. How was I supposed to dose it? Slowly? Did I do it right? Should I hav nothing to worry? So confused right now and worried about my livestock. #reefsquad

No that’s not right at all. I wouldNT worry too much, there has been many reports of gross overdosing phosphate with little issue do a water change.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back