Did I unlock all the phosphate from 100#s of live rock?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started today! Dripped 50 mls of the solution into my filter sock which should have lowered PO4 by 1.0ppm. I am going to do this daily for a few days before I test again, I am well over my kits limit of 6.0 ppm
Nice, how many gallons are you running and which product?

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate-x, 5ml/20g to bring down 1ppm, according to instruction.
I have a 90g DT with 20g sump, but with all the rocks the total volume is probably closer to 80g.
I does 2.5ml 3 or 4 times a day into the skimmer, then output goes thru a 10 micron sock, sock will be close to overflowing in 2 days. I test 4-5 hours after the last dose. I skipped 1 day, the 19th, that's when it actually went back up. I plan to skip tomorrow and Sunday.
Thanks! I will be switching to Phosphat e in a bit.
Cheers! Mark

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started today! Dripped 50 mls of the solution into my filter sock which should have lowered PO4 by 1.0ppm. I am going to do this daily for a few days before I test again, I am well over my kits limit of 6.0 ppm
Personal preference, but I always like to test before the second dose. It helps catch those little mistakes like slipping a decimal point. If everything goes as expected in that test, then that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, @Randy Holmes-Farley Several months ago I did a tank clean up. I pulled all the rocks one by one, soaked them in straight vinegar for at least 15-20 minutes, washed, rinsed, and put back into the reef.
My question, is it possible that at 2.5ph, the vinegar has unbound phosphate from my rocks? If so, will they level out at some point?
Cheers! Mark
I'm not clear as to y you did this

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, how many gallons are you running and which product?

PhosbanL 220 gallons

Personal preference, but I always like to test before the second dose. It helps catch those little mistakes like slipping a decimal point. If everything goes as expected in that test, then that sounds like a reasonable plan.

Agreed :)

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much? I read not to drop more than .5 in 24hours? You diluted the PhosbanL with RO and then dosed 50ml of the mix?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much? I read not to drop more than .5 in 24hours? You diluted the PhosbanL with RO and then dosed 50ml of the mix?

Ya I read that too I am assuming that is for corals, this tank is fish only, I wouldn’t see issue with dropping it all the way to 0 but I don’t want to clog the sock. Yes that is correct , 50 mls of a diluted solution 1:3 in RODI. Also that Melves reef dude drops his from over 1.0ppm with corals so I’m not worried at all. And also every LaCl maker has diff recommendations for levels per day, just to be safe, again I’m thinking they don’t want sps to stress with fast reductions

Tank didn’t cloud at all but I am using 1um sock

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I read that too I am assuming that is for corals, this tank is fish only, I wouldn’t see issue with dropping it all the way to 0 but I don’t want to clog the sock. Yes that is correct , 50 mls of a diluted solution 1:3 in RODI. Also that Melves reef dude drops his from over 1.0ppm with corals so I’m not worried at all. And also every LaCl maker has diff recommendations for levels per day, just to be safe, again I’m thinking they don’t want sps to stress with fast reductions

I heard yellow tangs were really sensitive

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds good! Diluted 1:3 or 1:2? Just making sure we document our journey :)

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To rid the tank of pests - majanos and vermatid.
Vinegar gets rid of majanos! I'll have to try this myself. Majanos are just about the only pest I have but they are green and I kinda like them until they attack corals. My solution so far has been to poke them so they close up and just super glue them shut when they get to close to my coral.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar gets rid of majanos! I'll have to try this myself. Majanos are just about the only pest I have but they are green and I kinda like them until they attack corals. My solution so far has been to poke them so they close up and just super glue them shut when they get to close to my coral.
I suspect many things get rid of mojanos when you take them out of your tank and soak them in it.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect many things get rid of mojanos when you take them out of your tank and soak them in it.
Yea but many things also remove my coral. I dont think I could take my rock out of my tank and be ok with it anyway lol it's just too grown in it wouldnt look right for months

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but many things also remove my coral. I dont think I could take my rock out of my tank and be ok with it anyway lol it's just too grown in it wouldnt look right for months
All of my corals are mounted on smaller rocks stacked on the larger rocks. Some of the large rocks had a large number of pests. So move the coral, clean the large rocks, restack and replace coral - ez peazy

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid soak for few mins (used safety goggles and gloves)... neutralize with bicarbonate after rinse... then bleach soak. Worked wonders for me.
Used it on old live rock and new rock. Had issues with cirolanid isopods and wasn’t taking risk of pests in 650 gallons. BRS had video on using bleach and acid on rock.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dripped another 50mls this morning, sock is starting to clog but I think I have two more rounds left, these 38” socks are awesome haha

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is correct , 50 mls of a diluted solution 1:3 in RODI.

I'll have to try 1:3, personally with Phosphate-E been using much higher dilution LC:RODI ratios like 1:100 - 1:250 and dripping over much longer periods of time 24-72 hours.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back