Did I waste money on a fancy powerhead?

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a ecotech power head mp10 for my Red Sea reefer 55 gal and I have a assortment of corals. I placed my hammer coral on the complete opposite side of my powerhead and I only have the powerhead at 1/4 of the power it can put out. if I turn it up more it looks like it is blasting my hammer coral and even stirs up sand if about 1/2 turned up. so my qustion is why buy a 300 dollar powerhead that can only be turned up 1/4 of the way?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setting (Mode) do you have it set to and where do you have it placed in the tank?
I’m not to familiar with Red Sea tanks so what are the dimensions?

move got 2x mp10 in a 75 at full blast without issue

OP
OP
B

Bradsreeftank21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry but im not familiar with the different settings, its on the blue colored setting which I believe means its aways on with sudden pulses now and then. I have it placed halfway up the tank. tank is about 5 feet long

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is flow an can be achieved with a 30 dollar Amazon special or a 400 dollar ecotech. What you are paying for is that adjustability and reliability. I have an MP10 in a 20 AIO and its fine. Chances are you just need to play with the settings and location until you get it to fit your needs.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ecotech pumps are reliable, great service, quiet, and have an amazing amount of control. I recommend using reef crest if you only have one. If you have 2 then an anti sync pattern short pulse if they are on opposite sides of the tank. They are forsure worth the money if you can afford it. If it is a newer purchase then download mobious app and you will see the amount of control you have.

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry but im not familiar with the different settings, its on the blue colored setting which I believe means its aways on with sudden pulses now and then. I have it placed halfway up the tank. tank is about 5 feet long
I do not think red sea makes a 55gal 5 foot long tank. Must be a reefer 250? 3 foot long?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 55 gallons is the Red Sea Reefer 250. It is 3 ft long. I have the same tank and I am using bigger power heads MP40. It is set at 25% with no issue.
Maybe take pictures and post them here?

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use reefcrest on my MP40 at random percentages throughout the day by using the Mobius app. You should try using different programs and adjust to your preference.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 55 with two mp40’s and one mp10 and have them all synced with apex and random flow it creates an awesome flow in tank. Would say it’s definitely not too much.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back