Did I waste my money on this Hanna HR Nitrate checker?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Hanna HR Nitrate checker and it has been testing at 75+ but when use an API test kit it is no where near 75 more like 10-20 as seen in the picture. I know API is not the greatest but this is a pretty large discrepancy. Not sure what my nitrates are with the way these tests are coming out. Has anyone had any issues with their Hanna HR tester reading high?

460C8C04-02BB-4736-8703-630B4ACF0481.jpeg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues with the checker and have compared it to my salifert and they both seem to always be right where the other is. I have heard stories about the inaccuracy of the api test kits so i have never used them.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my other Hanna testers are very accurate. Not saying that this one is not, but man I didn’t think my nitrates were so high. Considering I’m have a fuge with Chaeto and dragons breath and a lot of live rock.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take both tests to the LFS and see which one tests their water most accurately
I have good confidence in my Hanna
how does you tank look? Does the glass need daily cleaning?

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Hanna Nitrate checker, but I use Hanna for pH, Alk, Calcium (also have a Phosphate ULR on the way). I double check with a Red Sea kit. I noticed some inconsistency with Hannas until I started following procedures more precisely.

- Ensure the reagent bottle is straight up and down with light, even pressure for consistent droplet size
- Ensure no bubbles are in the sample, wait until they dissipate or tap the top lightly
- Ensure no debris is in the sample, I take water from middle of the water column to avoid top floaties
- Ensure no finger prints are on the sample, wipe it down prior to entry, hold the top with one hand, wipe with the other
- Enter the sample with the same cuvette rotation each time, for example with the 10 mL label facing you
- I also store the cuvettes with RO when not in use to prevent residue drying inside. Before testing, dump RO, rinse with tank water, begin testing. After testing, clean, rinse with RO, fill with RO, cap and store.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with reading my Salifert and I always thought my nitrates were in the 20 range, after getting a Hanna HR it read 80. It wasn't until I dosed Vodka over 12 weeks that they lowered to 10. I trust my Hanna Nitrate reader.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Hannah and API! I found them to gave very similar results.
As mentioned above, make sure you do everything to the and keep the corvette cleaned and same orientation between steps.

Attachments

• 20220604_204030.jpg
    20220604_204030.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220626_151652.jpg
    20220626_151652.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you pressing and holding the button on the checker for C2 to get the 7 minute timer on the display?
Yes I am holding down. Picture may be darker but under lighting it appears to be 20 ppm. Guess I have high nitrates. I started carbon dosing last week at 5 ml a day and recently upped to 10 ml a day but then I backed off back to 5ml. Was worried I may mess something up with the carbon dosing which is new to me. Maybe I will up it back to 10 ml.
I had issues with reading my Salifert and I always thought my nitrates were in the 20 range, after getting a Hanna HR it read 80. It wasn't until I dosed Vodka over 12 weeks that they lowered to 10. I trust my Hanna Nitrate reader.
How much were you dosing. I have 140 gallon total water volume. I am using the diy NOPOX solution. I know not says 10+ nitrates to dose 3ml per 26 gallon but I wanted to start slow.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am holding down. Picture may be darker but under lighting it appears to be 20 ppm. Guess I have high nitrates. I started carbon dosing last week at 5 ml a day and recently upped to 10 ml a day but then I backed off back to 5ml. Was worried I may mess something up with the carbon dosing which is new to me. Maybe I will up it back to 10 ml.

How much were you dosing. I have 140 gallon total water volume. I am using the diy NOPOX solution. I know not says 10+ nitrates to dose 3ml per 26 gallon but I wanted to start slow.
I have a 130 gallon tank and I followed this chart. It definitely worked.

Screenshot_20211122-191055_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow according to this chart I’m way over where I should be for week 2. Doses this chart apply to the diy NOPox I made with vodka and vinegar.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a Hanna Nitrate checker, but I use Hanna for pH, Alk, Calcium (also have a Phosphate ULR on the way). I double check with a Red Sea kit. I noticed some inconsistency with Hannas until I started following procedures more precisely.

- Ensure the reagent bottle is straight up and down with light, even pressure for consistent droplet size
- Ensure no bubbles are in the sample, wait until they dissipate or tap the top lightly
- Ensure no debris is in the sample, I take water from middle of the water column to avoid top floaties
- Ensure no finger prints are on the sample, wipe it down prior to entry, hold the top with one hand, wipe with the other
- Enter the sample with the same cuvette rotation each time, for example with the 10 mL label facing you
- I also store the cuvettes with RO when not in use to prevent residue drying inside. Before testing, dump RO, rinse with tank water, begin testing. After testing, clean, rinse with RO, fill with RO, cap and store.
The Hanna Calcium checker is crappy and highly inaccurate due to difficulty getting the exact amount of tank water needed (.1ml ). I use Hanna for Phos (ultra low) , and Alk and Salifert for Mag and Calcium. You will likely see many others agree if you do a google search on their Calc checker.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues with the checker and have compared it to my salifert and they both seem to always be right where the other is. I have heard stories about the inaccuracy of the api test kits so i have never used them.
This for me also

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back