Did my bicolor blenny eat my little brittle star?

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states I added a bicolor blenny and haven't seen the brittle star since? Do you think he ate it? I was told held only rly eat algae.

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of bi-colors eating starfish, but lawnmowers are sure. Although I believe it was more of a territorial behavior. Fish behavior could be strange and at times the last thing that you would suspect your fish to be doing is exactly what you will observe them doing.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’d eat a brittle star, even the micro ones. I’ve got tons of them in my tank and I rarely see them, occasionally I’ll see a little tentacle poking out of a rock. Bicolors will pick at corals though. Mostly LPS, but also Zoanthids and some softies. Tailspots are generally a better choice for a similar shaped fish with similar behavior (but less likely to pick at corals).

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this (late to the party)...

My bicolor blenny never bothers micro brittle stars, although he does love meaty foods (like frozen mysis). Definitely not just an herbivore.

Aside -- I bought 6 micro brittle stars in a ball of chaeto months ago.
Only really saw five when I was trying to coax them out of the chaeto and, since, only ever see arms extending from the live rock during feeding time (with the occasional one venturing out and about at night).

Was convinced I only actually ended up with 5 until:
Did a tank transfer 2 days ago and, for the first couple of hours, all 6 micro brittle stars were out and about (I assume due to air pockets from swishing out the live rock during transfer):

micro_star1.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this (late to the party)...

My bicolor blenny never bothers micro brittle stars, although he does love meaty foods (like frozen mysis). Definitely not just an herbivore.

Aside -- I bought 6 micro brittle stars in a ball of chaeto months ago.
Only really saw five when I was trying to coax them out of the chaeto and, since, only ever see arms extending from the live rock during feeding time (with the occasional one venturing out and about at night).

Was convinced I only actually ended up with 5 until:
Did a tank transfer 2 days ago and, for the first couple of hours, all 6 micro brittle stars were out and about (I assume due to air pockets from swishing out the live rock during transfer):

micro_star1.jpeg
With the addition of new fish (CB and purple tang) and almost doubling the rock he went MIA for awhile but I have seen it when looking closely at night in the recent nights but as you mentioned my blenny loves meaty foods also so I was convinced he may have been the culprit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back