Did my blue tang break out in ich???? In DT!!!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef

The photo of the original post with the hippo and the two raised black spots are identical to the ones my hippo currently has and very similar locations. I first notice one of these spots about a week ago, my first guess was it brushed up against an urchin that I recently added and got poked. I also added a bunch of snails and hermit crabs at the same time a little more than a week prior to the first spot showing up.

I've now noticed a few more of these pinprick black spots on the hippo in the last couple days but they don't appear to be raised anymore. This fish occasionally flashes and rubs' up against objects, especially when the water flow stops.

I've tried to take pictures of this under white light but the hippo goes into hiding as soon as I modify the lighting to do so.

I also have a dino issue that I haven't been able to beat for ~6 months. There are hydroid medusae in my return pump chamber of my sump as well. I have a Pentair 50 running on the tank with parasite water flow for a couple months so I wasn't expecting any parasites.

It would be nice to know how your hippo is currently doing, are you still getting these spots?

Thanks,
It was ich. I ended up removing my corals and adding copper directly into the tank. I still see 2 little white specs like in the pictures after the first post. I don't know what those specs are. I don’t know how it’s possible for ich to survive 2.3-2.5 copper.

The most important thing I’ve learned was if the spots come and go it’s very likely ich. If they stay on longer than 7 days it’s most likely not ich.

Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back