Did my Christmas Tree Worms spawn? Or are they something else?

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I moved my Christmas Tree Rock to my new display from the frag tank and I noticed 3 new, VERY skinny tubes. This caught me by surprise as I never saw these before and thought they might've been old tubes of deceased worms. But looking closer, I saw little worms pop in and out of the tubes. The strange thing is that they're all about equally spread out, they have no color to them, they're kind of a light gray color. I talked with a person I know who volunteers at the Aquarium of The Pacific and they speculate it could be another species of Serpulid (tube) worm. I'll be documenting this whole thing since I find it strange they have no color, maybe they develop color later in life? If it is another species of tube worm, it'll be really interesting to see the cohabitation.
20210408_173511.jpg
20210408_175006.jpg

Here's a video of it popping back in, the quality isn't the greatest since it's super duper tiny but i hope you can get an idea of what it looks like

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tube worms. Very common and they generally send out a fan in search of food

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube worms. Very common and they generally send out a fan in search of food
Oh, I've never had this kind before. Do they get bigger or stay this small forever? Really weird to see them growing on a porites, or how they even got onto the porites since I don't have them in my frag tank either

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh, I've never had this kind before. Do they get bigger or stay this small forever? Really weird to see them growing on a porites, or how they even got onto the porites since I don't have them in my frag tank either
Stay small but can mutliply

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back