Did My Coral Reproduce Spawning (Pocillopora )

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was inspecting my tank and noticed some tiny green corals growing on some of my rocks. I am familiar with how coral can move around the tank by breaking off without my knowledge but these were in places I had never placed the coral by. I believe my Pocillopora must of sexual spawned because i noticed them in multiple locations. i have attached some pictures to see if you guys think my Pocillopora has reproduced.

Tank information
Red Sea Reefer 425xl 90 gallon 108ish volume. Mp 40 power head and vertex return pump red sea skimmer q maven 2 Led 48 Inch. Just upgraded 3 months ago but used my old rocks and added some new since it was larger.

20210817_212809(6).jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at least it's not aiptasia. :D

I have some in my RSM250. My broken lighting really isn't good enough to support SPS, but this coral is just unreal in its growth rate. If I have a pocillopora population explosion I'm going to get a pocillopora pistol shrimp and just declare it a "species tank".

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea will save the wallet. I am trying the full range addict approach trying to be a mixed reef with a little bit of everything. My next investment is a doser my ALK keeps lowering due to coral growth and not testing enough. First world reefer problems.

Every-time I raise the dose my coral demands surpass the dose due to new coral that was in QT and growth rate need to move from the every 3 weeks to once a week test approach.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora is notorious for spreading everywhere. Certainly might be spawning - did you notice any cloudiness in your tank? My colony does this occasionally. Most spread is polyp bail out though.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora is notorious for spreading everywhere. Certainly might be spawning - did you notice any cloudiness in your tank? My colony does this occasionally. Most spread is polyp bail out though.
I have an Engineer Goby in the tank which sometimes digs up sand so I have noticed some cloudiness in the tank but I assumed it was just from my Goby in our love hate relationship.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got pocillopora on the Australian live rock i purchased, I hate it. Stuff grows everywhere and damages other SPS it touches. It even grows on my silicone seams and under rocks with probably 50 par.

I'm always killing it when it's growing near other sps. I'll take verminted over this coral any day of the week.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the pics you posted, they look like mijanos to me.
I had never heard of an Majono Anemone before I believe it is not one because when lights are out I can still see them. It appears to have a small white calcium base but I will update you once they are a little bigger still hard to tell when they are so small.

OP
OP
C

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got pocillopora on the Australian live rock i purchased, I hate it. Stuff grows everywhere and damages other SPS it touches. It even grows on my silicone seams and under rocks with probably 50 par.

I'm always killing it when it's growing near other sps. I'll take verminted over this coral any day of the week.
I feel you on a stocked sps tank. I have only a few SPS in my tank. I need to get a doser so I am not manually daily dosing and step up my reefing level. I can grow it if it survives my cheap QT system for 4 weeks which seems to be the issue. One day this may be a pain to deal with if I have an SPS dominate reef tank but for now I am just happy moving forward with my success.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you on a stocked sps tank. I have only a few SPS in my tank. I need to get a doser so I am not manually daily dosing and step up my reefing level. I can grow it if it survives my cheap QT system for 4 weeks which seems to be the issue. One day this may be a pain to deal with if I have an SPS dominate reef tank but for now I am just happy moving forward with my success.

Absolutely! Celebrate your successes and enjoy your reef!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of an Majono Anemone before I believe it is not one because when lights are out I can still see them. It appears to have a small white calcium base but I will update you once they are a little bigger still hard to tell when they are so small.
I have lots and lots of pictures of them from my tank if you need a point of reference. :)

Back