Did this clown dies from agression from other fish or other cause?

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found one of my clown fish dead, underneath the halloween pincushion urchin. I am not sure if the urchin was just having a feast on the dead body or if he even eats dead fish.
Regardless, if you look at the picture, you can tell that clown is pretty beaten up. My first though was that the urchin started to eat from it and that's why it looks like that.

I was then thinking maybe it got caught up into something, but it's hard to imagine a powerhead, gyro, or rocks could do that damage.

Next assumption on my list is a blue tang I have. He seems pretty restless and I was thinking maybe the tang attacked the clown.
Do those wounds look like woubda from a surgeonfish attack?

I'm trying to figure if I need to get rid of that tang yet or not. He is on thin ice anyway, aslast evebing I saw him trying to nip at my clove star polyps.
20221125_181947.jpg
20221125_181933.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just found one of my clown fish dead, underneath the halloween pincushion urchin. I am not sure if the urchin was just having a feast on the dead body or if he even eats dead fish.
Regardless, if you look at the picture, you can tell that clown is pretty beaten up. My first though was that the urchin started to eat from it and that's why it looks like that.

I was then thinking maybe it got caught up into something, but it's hard to imagine a powerhead, gyro, or rocks could do that damage.

Next assumption on my list is a blue tang I have. He seems pretty restless and I was thinking maybe the tang attacked the clown.
Do those wounds look like woubda from a surgeonfish attack?

I'm trying to figure if I need to get rid of that tang yet or not. He is on thin ice anyway, aslast evebing I saw him trying to nip at my clove star polyps.
20221125_181947.jpg
20221125_181933.jpg
While the tail damage can be suggestive, question is was this condition before or after?
Any unusual behavior, acting lethargic, loss of appetite, heavy breathing, anything?
It’s difficult often to make a determination once fish reaches point of death

OP
OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the tail damage can be suggestive, question is was this condition before or after?
Any unusual behavior, acting lethargic, loss of appetite, heavy breathing, anything?
It’s difficult often to make a determination once fish reaches point of death
Everything was normal. Yesterday evening he was happy and eating well, playing with the other clown I have. Nothing like odd behaviour, heavy breathing, being lethargic, or not willing to eat. He was trully a happy camper.
This morning, he was fine as well. That tail damage is something I would have seen.
I just noticed this afternoon/evening I don't see him and started looking after him in the tank and eventually saw a little bit of him under the urchin.

alonsooro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not easy to say, since there's a lot of causes that can lead to death. But it is strange since this is a very resistant fish. My first guess will be not aggression but some parasite or other infection. How much time it had with you? What other fishes do you have?

OP
OP
A

Acalin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not easy to say, since there's a lot of causes that can lead to death. But it is strange since this is a very resistant fish. My first guess will be not aggression but some parasite or other infection. How much time it had with you? What other fishes do you have?
To be honest, I tend to rule out parasite.

I've had it for about 2 years. It went through quarantine before getting in the DT.
No other signs or infection or any strange behaviour.
The other fishes in the tank are:
- one other clown (I got them together)
- one blue tang
- one royal grama
- one green mandarin
- one court jester goby
- one yellow watchman goby

The most recent fish have been added over 6 months ago to the tank, once again, after I had them in quarantine.

For quarantine, whether they show signs or not, I do 2-3 rounds of prazi, 30 days of copper and I feed for about 2 weeks food soaked in garlic guard with metro&focus.

Tank parameters are stable. No change in parameters (other than the day/night) shifts I usually see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everything was normal. Yesterday evening he was happy and eating well, playing with the other clown I have. Nothing like odd behaviour, heavy breathing, being lethargic, or not willing to eat. He was trully a happy camper.
This morning, he was fine as well. That tail damage is something I would have seen.
I just noticed this afternoon/evening I don't see him and started looking after him in the tank and eventually saw a little bit of him under the urchin.
As one clown can be an aggressor, it is possible from running from the other it crashed into glass and caused issues.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back