Did too much flow do this to my green slimer?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a part of my green slimer where the coral seems to be rubbed off to the skeleton, this is the only spot facing the flow but the strength of the current is relatively weak. Could it be something else or is it definitely flow? The pencil urchin in the picture also likes to touch it a lot and rub its spikes all over it lol

20220705_185736.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There is a part of my green slimer where the coral seems to be rubbed off to the skeleton, this is the only spot facing the flow but the strength of the current is relatively weak. Could it be something else or is it definitely flow? The pencil urchin in the picture also likes to touch it a lot and rub its spikes all over it lol

20220705_185736.jpg
While possible, so will:
- Temperature too warm
- salinity too high
- high alk
- high calcium
- Low Phos
- insuuficient or too bright of lighting
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While possible, so will:
- Temperature too warm
- salinity too high
- high alk
- high calcium
- Low Phos
- insuuficient or too bright of lighting
- Low dissolved oxygen
- Poor water quality related with phosphate levels up to 5 ppm
- Change in water flow
- Additions of sand
- Changes in brand of salt
- Bad test kits giving faulty results
- Levels of minor elements such as Iodine, Potassium, Strontium
- Changes in water flow
- Addition of new corals
- - Pesticides
- Airborne Contaminants or sprays
So... literally everything could cause a dead spot like this. I can rule out most of this because I haven't made any changes to salinity, salt brand, sand, new corals, or airborne chemicals. My test kits are all Red Sea and Salifert but I haven't tested in a week. Should I test my levels?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So... literally everything could cause a dead spot like this. I can rule out most of this because I haven't made any changes to salinity, salt brand, sand, new corals, or airborne chemicals. My test kits are all Red Sea and Salifert but I haven't tested in a week. Should I test my levels?
By all means test and even change water if necessary.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Video of the flow

You can increase flow slightly if you wish, but not harsh by any means.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimers like heavy flow unless your pump is close and hitting it full force I wouldn't say its flow. I would do the usual testing parameters alk, cal, mag, nitrate p04. Is there anything that could sting it close by? Check on the coral with lights off is there a pest. Looking at your tank you seem like you have the parameters down but always best to check.

I also see no algae and not an urchin keeper but I did see this thread. Not sure if urchin would turn without enough food. Keep an eye on him.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/will-an-urchin-eat-the-tips-of-sps.548508/

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 77.1°F
Alk: 7.6dkh (haven't dosed yet so it will be 8.6 after dosing)
Calcium: 470
Nitrates: 5ppm (Salifert)
Phosphate: 0.1ppm

@Cali Reef Life My urchins eat the coralline algae on my rocks, it's absolutely covered with it. I also feed nori to the tank

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Cali Reef Life My urchins eat the coralline algae on my rocks, it's absolutely covered with it. I also feed nori to the tank
Got it well heres a helpful video as well for Acros. Abe has a lot of helpful material related to acros.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Your Nitrates are a bit low, We would normally like to see that over 10. Slimers like most all Acro love a bunch of flow.
Thanks for the input, I'm currently trying to raise them since they bottomed out on me recently, just coming out of week-long dinos, thankfully it didn't last longer. But I have NeoNitro that I could dose

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I'm currently trying to raise them since they bottomed out on me recently, just coming out of week-long dinos, thankfully it didn't last longer. But I have NeoNitro that I could dose
If you ever need anything just give us a shout!

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Are you certain that the coral is a green slimer?(Yongei) From the picture provided, it doesn’t look like any of the slimers I have or had over the years. What you have looks more like a Tort.

As for the bleaching, it looks to be in on section so it could possibly be getting attacked by another coral or perhaps even a Vermentid snail. These tube snails will release a mucus net, damaging corals nearby. Other than those suggestion, it could be anything by what you have doesn’t look like a standard STN/RTN.

-Sonny

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Are you certain that the coral is a green slimer?(Yongei) From the picture provided, it doesn’t look like any of the slimers I have or had over the years. What you have looks more like a Tort.

As for the bleaching, it looks to be in on section so it could possibly be getting attacked by another coral or perhaps even a Vermentid snail. These tube snails will release a mucus net, damaging corals nearby. Other than those suggestion, it could be anything by what you have doesn’t look like a standard STN/RTN.

-Sonny
It was sold to me as a green slimer, but nothing was labelled at the LFS so it might not be one. Looking at photos of others', mine looks pretty different. I don't have any corals on that side of the tank - there is a bubble tip nem but it doesn't reach to the coral. There is a space invader frag on the left about 3.5-4 inches away I don't see any vermetids at all either.

20220705_195954.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nailed down for you, huh? ;)

Looks like shading on that one side, right?
What lights do you have and do you know the par?
Is this coral in the middle of the tank or close to one side?
More flow would not hurt.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nailed down for you, huh? ;)

Looks like shading on that one side, right?
What lights do you have and do you know the par?
Is this coral in the middle of the tank or close to one side?
More flow would not hurt.
It looks like the exposed skeleton, completely white and smooth to the touch. I have it near the top of the tank, I'm not sure what the par is but I have a Radion G4 XR30 running the AB program at about 50% on my 55g. It's in the middle, right under the light because I heard they like a lot of light, and I have one wavemaker on the right side of the tank that I moved off to the side of the glass a little because I thought that was what was causing the dead spot

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the exposed skeleton, completely white and smooth to the touch. I have it near the top of the tank, I'm not sure what the par is but I have a Radion G4 XR30 running the AB program at about 50% on my 55g. It's in the middle, right under the light because I heard they like a lot of light, and I have one wavemaker on the right side of the tank that I moved off to the side of the glass a little because I thought that was what was causing the dead spot
If it keeps progressing I would recommend saving a frag off of it.
How's it doing today?

polywise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral is on a frag disc. I would try to move the coral to a higher location on your rocks & try to mount it central to lighting- so there is no shadowing.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How often do you dose?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back