Did water change and all parameters are stable yet…

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

just did my weekly 15% wc and everything was well until I fed my fish. I usually feed them twice frozen before noon and some R.O.E and acrti pods in the evening. Today everything was fine but when I came back to check on the tank I saw my flame angel that I’ve been quarantining with metroplex and focus and garlic guard. All my fish go through this for 10 days before introduced to DT, he was lethargic breathing heavy and so was my diamond goby. All inverts and corals seem fine and not phased. My parameters are:
Ammonia-0
PH- 8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-5.
I didn’t add anything new I just took out the corals I was qt’ing before putting on display tank as well and used the reef brite live rock enhance.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have also done another 10% WC and added dr Tim’s first defense and raised my power heads for more aeration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,

just did my weekly 15% wc and everything was well until I fed my fish. I usually feed them twice frozen before noon and some R.O.E and acrti pods in the evening. Today everything was fine but when I came back to check on the tank I saw my flame angel that I’ve been quarantining with metroplex and focus and garlic guard. All my fish go through this for 10 days before introduced to DT, he was lethargic breathing heavy and so was my diamond goby. All inverts and corals seem fine and not phased. My parameters are:
Ammonia-0
PH- 8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-5.
I didn’t add anything new I just took out the corals I was qt’ing before putting on display tank as well and used the reef brite live rock enhance.
I have also done another 10% WC and added dr Tim’s first defense and raised my power heads for more aeration.
Ammonia and nitrate-
Are you by chance using API test kits?
Increase oxygen whenever treating.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrate-
Are you by chance using API test kits?
Increase oxygen whenever treating.
I’m using Hanna for both. I also recently added reef complete by seachem, was dosing all for reef before but my alk and Mag wouldn’t get used as fast so just dosing calcium

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Ammonia-0
PH- 8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-5.

Is 10 days QT long enough?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update after the wc and adding the first defense the fish seems to be swimming more but still low. If I turn up the lights he gets scared and hides but his lips seem white. He’s now getting back his coloration and it’s swimming more consistently

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update after the wc and adding the first defense the fish seems to be swimming more but still low. If I turn up the lights he gets scared and hides but his lips seem white. He’s now getting back his coloration and it’s swimming more consistently
Keep lights low and assure good oxygen as well as diet

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Hanna for both. I also recently added reef complete by seachem, was dosing all for reef before but my alk and Mag wouldn’t get used as fast so just dosing calcium
Alk and Mag will pretty much always be used in the same ratio as calcium, so if you’re calcium is going down but Alk and Mag aren’t, there is something weird going on. Also, reef complete contains Mag. I would be very careful dosing something like reef complete, you’d be better off dosing a balanced two part. How old is your tank, and are the fish that are having issues in your DT or QT?

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk and Mag will pretty much always be used in the same ratio as calcium, so if you’re calcium is going down but Alk and Mag aren’t, there is something weird going on. Also, reef complete contains Mag. I would be very careful dosing something like reef complete, you’d be better off dosing a balanced two part. How old is your tank, and are the fish that are having issues in your DT or QT?
The QT and the tank is a year and half old. Never had a fish die in there, only a shrimp but that was a long time ago. It’s also a skimmer less nano 12 gal

Back