Did you STOP any of your other HOBBIES when you started REEFING?

Did you?

• Total voters

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of us have hobbies other than reefing. I have lost interest in some of my hobbies ever since I started reefing because I enjoy it a lot, it’s time consuming with maintenance and research, my YouTube feed has been less polluted with my other hobbies and more reefing, I find my other hobbies boring compared to reefing, etc. Am I the only one or have some of y’all experienced this same dilemma? Please share your experiences below!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got too many hobbies, but reefing doesn’t stop me from pursuing any of the others. My main hobbies are reefing, playing music, reading/writing, visual art, video games, international travel, and the rest of my pets (6 mo old puppy, 2 cats, jumping spiders, will be getting another dog soon and would like to get another parrot or two in a few years - I had a geriatric wild caught blue fronted Amazon for the last 8 years of his life and would like to take on another older rescued parrot). I also like to knit and crochet sometimes, but it’s more of my GF’s hobby that I just do with her sometimes. Anyway, reefing is time consuming, but I still find time for all my other hobbies.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shut my tank down for about 3 years so i could finish this up and noy deal with the dino outbreak at the same time
r9xV2C8.jpg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got too many hobbies, but reefing doesn’t stop me from pursuing any of the others. My main hobbies are reefing, playing music, reading/writing, visual art, video games, international travel, and the rest of my pets (6 mo old puppy, 2 cats, jumping spiders, will be getting another dog soon and would like to get another parrot or two in a few years - I had a geriatric wild caught blue fronted Amazon for the last 8 years of his life and would like to take on another older rescued parrot). I also like to knit and crochet sometimes, but it’s more of my GF’s hobby that I just do with her sometimes. Anyway, reefing is time consuming, but I still find time for all my other hobbies.
Since you said one of your hobbies is playing music, that’s one of the main hobbies I have struggled to improve and keep myself interested ever since I started reefing. I have noticed it has started coming back very little but it hasn’t been where it was. I played saxophone.
shut my tank down for about 3 years so i could finish this up and noy deal with the dino outbreak at the same time
r9xV2C8.jpg
My family has a 1972 Ford Bronco that is fully restored. Very few modifications from the original designs and is 95% like it was made in 1972
B9509226-8168-44C2-842A-EB4DBD409D6F.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said one of your hobbies is playing music, that’s one of the main hobbies I have struggled to improve and keep myself interested ever since I started reefing. I have noticed it has started coming back very little but it hasn’t been where it was. I played saxophone.

My family has a 1972 Ford Bronco that is fully restored. Very few modifications from the original designs and is 95% like it was made in 1972
B9509226-8168-44C2-842A-EB4DBD409D6F.jpeg
I mainly play the drums and a little guitar, bass, and piano/keyboard. I try to play for at least 20 minutes every other day. Since I’ve gotten older I don’t play with other people as much (my GF plays a bunch of instruments, so we play together fairly often), but in my teens and twenties I was always playing in bands and playing shows. I’ve been thinking lately about teaching/doing lessons, but it’s a pretty big commitment that I don’t know that I want right now.

Edit: playing the drums for me is just fun, just messing around without having any structure is still fun for me and I’ve been playing for almost 30 years. Its just never not been fun for me. The only part I don’t like about it, and it’s not an issue since I’m not playing shows or going to band practice, is having to lug a drum kit around, when you’re playing shows or touring, that gets old real quick.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly play the drums and a little guitar, bass, and piano/keyboard. I try to play for at least 20 minutes every other day. Since I’ve gotten older I don’t play with other people as much (my GF plays a bunch of instruments, so we play together fairly often), but in my teens and twenties I was always playing in bands and playing shows. I’ve been thinking lately about teaching/doing lessons, but it’s a pretty big commitment that I don’t know that I want right now.

Edit: playing the drums for me is just fun, just messing around without having any structure is still fun for me and I’ve been playing for almost 30 years. Its just never not been fun for me. The only part I don’t like about it, and it’s not an issue since I’m not playing shows or going to band practice, is having to lug a drum kit around, when you’re playing shows or touring, that gets old real quick.
I don’t do this as much but last year up until I start reefing, I played everyday for at least an hour. So I guess I’m just drained. But idk if it’s coincidental that I started reefing when I started slowing down or not but I hope I can get back into it more soon. I have noticed there a lot of drummers and musicians in the hobby which is always nice to have some people that share a lot of your same interests.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to spend more time on the tank in the winter.

Once the warm weather hits I'm outside doing gardening, fishing or day trips with the wife.

Then there's the "hobby" of house maintenance, lawn mowing, fixing gutters, painting, etc.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then there's the "hobby" of house maintenance, lawn mowing, fixing gutters, painting, etc.
That’s all of our favorite hobbies. But it’s not as fun of a hobby as removing hair algae, cleaning the glass daily, and replacing any of the expensive equipment that breaks in our reef tanks.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love fishing and fortunately, that hasn’t stopped because of reefing. What do you fish for?
Depending on the time of year and temp of water everything from our year round sandbass, calico bass, spotted bay bass which are the fish in our saltwater bass tournament's to deeper water rock cod. Then depending on the spring and summer water temps, Yellowtail, Bluefin and Yellowfin tuna, Dorado etc...

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the time of year and temp of water everything from our year round sandbass, calico bass, spotted bay bass which are the fish in our saltwater bass tournament's to deeper water rock cod. Then depending on the spring and summer water temps, Yellowtail, Bluefin and Yellowfin tuna, Dorado etc...
We fish in the gulf for red snapper, grouper, amber jack, yellowfin tuna, mahi, etc

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the jeep has slowed down for sure
10” lift
42” tires

Attachments

• 3EB6B754-C5C4-4884-8CD5-A37C85A62225.jpeg
    3EB6B754-C5C4-4884-8CD5-A37C85A62225.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 11
  • B342534C-E178-4EBD-B845-FA39F1E32D5B.jpeg
    B342534C-E178-4EBD-B845-FA39F1E32D5B.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 12

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not as involved in my other hobby as I used to be but it was in no way effected by my aquarium. My only other hobby was going to the shooting range but I rarely go anymore, mostly because I am afraid I won't be able to find ammo to replace what I shoot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back