Did you STOP any of your other HOBBIES when you started REEFING?

Did you?

• Total voters

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a true Sagittarius.. My interests ebb and flow like the tide.. What one day seems like something I absolutely HAVE to do.. A month later seems boring and trite... Aquarium keeping is the one hobby that I have stuck with long term.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I STOPPED something when I started Reefing.

KEEPING THINGS ALIVE (like my flowers, veggie plants, and weeds in my garden)

SInce taking up Reefing I've kill more species x 100 than I used to keep alive in my Garden, so I'm glad I still do Gardening. Balances the Ying and Yang of Life & Death.

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my other collecting hobbies slowed down during the initial upfront investment of the reef tank, but have slowly come back. Turns out, reefing isn't the only hobby that drains my wallet. Doing stuff in the dark effectively, has proven to be..... well expensive.

Attachments

• 20210527_181519.jpg
    20210527_181519.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 16

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of us have hobbies other than reefing. I have lost interest in some of my hobbies ever since I started reefing because I enjoy it a lot, it’s time consuming with maintenance and research, my YouTube feed has been less polluted with my other hobbies and more reefing, I find my other hobbies boring compared to reefing, etc. Am I the only one or have some of y’all experienced this same dilemma? Please share your experiences below!

This is a really good question. I couldn't vote honestly. I've had more than a few hobbies through the years. Only one or two could keep my interest at any given time, and none for too long. I started seriously keeping tropical fish and planted tanks as a hobby about 12 years ago. I've been reefing for about 5 years now. Aquaria, and the fascination with all things wet has finally managed to capture my long term fascination.

There are some things that I still do. I will break out my woodworking skills when the urge takes me, and I enjoy fishing from time to time. If I could go diving every day, I would probably neglect my tanks, but I'm landlocked now and my dives are few and far between.

I can't imagine that my interest in aquatica will wane as my interest in other hobbies has. I hope not anyway.

So. The answer to your question for me is that reefing hasn't really distracted, or pulled me away from other hobbies. It has more pulled me toward something that I can put my attention and imagination into for many years to come.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I follow all the fish from the east coast to the gulf and those big Redfish since we don't have them would be at the top of my list.
They’re fun to fight but we mainly go offshore. That’s one of the fish we go fish for when we do fish inshore
Working on the jeep has slowed down for sure
10” lift
42” tires
Restoring and modifying cars takes a lot of work and time. You can spend days on end for months and still be no where close to finished. Looks awesome.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I STOPPED something when I started Reefing.

KEEPING THINGS ALIVE (like my flowers, veggie plants, and weeds in my garden)

SInce taking up Reefing I've kill more species x 100 than I used to keep alive in my Garden, so I'm glad I still do Gardening. Balances the Ying and Yang of Life & Death.
The Ying and Yang is a good way to think about it. Never thought about it that way

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly play the drums and a little guitar, bass, and piano/keyboard. I try to play for at least 20 minutes every other day. Since I’ve gotten older I don’t play with other people as much (my GF plays a bunch of instruments, so we play together fairly often), but in my teens and twenties I was always playing in bands and playing shows. I’ve been thinking lately about teaching/doing lessons, but it’s a pretty big commitment that I don’t know that I want right now.

Edit: playing the drums for me is just fun, just messing around without having any structure is still fun for me and I’ve been playing for almost 30 years. Its just never not been fun for me. The only part I don’t like about it, and it’s not an issue since I’m not playing shows or going to band practice, is having to lug a drum kit around, when you’re playing shows or touring, that gets old real quick.

I play and write music as well, reefing when setting up and getting going did slow my music. But like reefing it's in my the blood.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still play jazz piano, but I no longer restore pinball machines. I was really into pinball before, but it’s even more expensive than reefing. I still have about a dozen machines though.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I play and write music as well, reefing when setting up and getting going did slow my music. But like reefing it's in my the blood.
Did you ever get back into music where your original interest in it had been prior?
I still play jazz piano, but I no longer restore pinball machines. I was really into pinball before, but it’s even more expensive than reefing. I still have about a dozen machines though.
Pinball machine restoration sounds extremely interesting.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get back into music where your original interest in it had been prior?

Pinball machine restoration sounds extremely interesting.

Yes, it really only slowed my gear splurge. I still play, every chance I get however the whole job things really bogs my life down lol

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it really only slowed my gear splurge. I still play, every chance I get however the whole job things really bogs my life down lol
I hope I have the same thing that happened to you happen to me. Set up my tank 5 months ago so it may have slowed because of starting the hobby and the significant amount of time I spent on the aquarium over music.

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I have the same thing that happened to you happen to me. Set up my tank 5 months ago so it may have slowed because of starting the hobby and the significant amount of time I spent on the aquarium over music.

Sometimes letting the tank get its groove is better without your mitts in it lol, seriously. The tank will find its rhythm, music is in the soul my dude. I'll play until I physically can't (guitar) from arthritis

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes letting the tank get its groove is better without your mitts in it lol, seriously. The tank will find its rhythm, music is in the soul my dude. I'll play until I physically can't (guitar) from arthritis
I have started to realize that now thankfully. I used to play until my chops were done. Now I play to maintain my current level and haven’t advanced a lot. Sounds a lot like your experiences are what may happen to me fortunately

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to realize that now thankfully. I used to play until my chops were done. Now I play to maintain my current level and haven’t advanced a lot. Sounds a lot like your experiences are what may happen to me fortunately

Here to help if I can, shoot we can put some stuff together if it helps you out of a funk

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold my bike ... :(
Mv agusta f4 312 , the wether here in holland isn't to good and free time is limited so i had to choose.
However , my better half was very happy when i sold it ... :)
And you probably could have put that money to some reefing stuff too.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a PS5 sitting unopened for months...

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a PS5 sitting unopened for months...
I haven’t followed the craze recently but I know that people have sold for twice as much as the vendors sell them for which is crazy. I’m unsure if that still happens but it’s still crazy to think about

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back