Did you STOP any of your other HOBBIES when you started REEFING?

Did you?

• Total voters

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ducati panigale and z06 corvette, and husaberg and mnt bikes and gravel bike, and trubo honda aquatrax , and rc helis, wait I have not flown those in 5 years, guitars 6s 12s acoustic and electric. paddleboards, seem to be my go too hobbies

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those puppers in the last pic are so dang cute! Investigating what's going on down there, big time! Haha
They figured out how to open the lid on the livewell, and when I have fish in there they put there heads in the water to try and grab one!

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you in reefing being my only hobby because I want it that way. I do have a pair of mandrin dragonets in my reef tank and those will b my only fish in there as well. They are amazing together so perhaps that would b another hobby as I would really love to see them breed and have a bunch of babies swimming amongst my corals. At the time I only have a couple of corals but have found an amazing coral guy that purchases his corals and growes them out for many months and so etimes longer for the hobby and joy of raising these amazing corals up to where he wants them. Plus I'm getting great corals that have t just been flipped. Plus these corals r a higher price than I can afford but I pay on them until he's ready to ship and it is really working out for me and my new cade build. I'm also adding these corals slowly but constantly which really seems to b better on my systems growth and the overall health of my tank n corals . I'm posting pics as I go n you'll b able to see their quality. So far I have a great meat coral that's awesome, I'm paying on a really nice Christmas tree rock w tons of worms I'll b posting in a week or two depending on my next payment and just fyi he came up w another
Meat coral that's bigger n ♥️ red I'm getting for my wife. He's had him a while but just decided to sell . I can't wait to post their pics as I receive them. Sorry you know how this hobby does grab u n takes all my attention. The only other thing i enjoy at this point n actually have time for is hanging out w my wife n grandkids. Watching all this growth n knowledge is a 25 he day. Anyway I'm with you. Happy reefing everyone

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older I get the more I realize I only want several hobbies that I can be very good at. I've mostly given up modifying cars as I've come to realize throwing vast quantities of money at a depreciating liability isn't for me anymore.

With a full time 40-70 hr a week job I've narrowed my focus to reefing and bonsai. I have other small hobbies that I don't spend much time on.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing didn't deter me from any of my other hobbies and I have many. Reefing is a great hobby because you can mess with it as much or as little as you want and spend as much or little as you want.

If I don't feel like cleaning the glass today or feeding the fish, it will wait until tomorrow or the next day.
Many fish can go a month or more with no food (but I never go more than a day or two)

I dose calcium and alk but if I forget for a week, nothing happens.

Michael E.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older I get the more I realize I only want several hobbies that I can be very good at. I've mostly given up modifying cars as I've come to realize throwing vast quantities of money at a depreciating liability isn't for me anymore.

With a full time 40-70 hr a week job I've narrowed my focus to reefing and bonsai. I have other small hobbies that I don't spend much time on.
This is quickly happening to me.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you said one of your hobbies is playing music, that’s one of the main hobbies I have struggled to improve and keep myself interested ever since I started reefing. I have noticed it has started coming back very little but it hasn’t been where it was. I played saxophone.

My family has a 1972 Ford Bronco that is fully restored. Very few modifications from the original designs and is 95% like it was made in 1972
B9509226-8168-44C2-842A-EB4DBD409D6F.jpeg

LUBR!!!!!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few hobbies, and the one thing that ties them all together is money, or lack of. All are expensive hobbies on there own, but together it’s just insane. So I have to pick and choose what I do or buy, and I kind of go through a rotation of being into it for a while then onto something else then back again after a while.

I will say the one thing I don’t really enjoy anymore strictly because of the reef tanks is mechanic work, I hate getting dirty and greasy then need to stick my hands in the tank later on.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few hobbies, and the one thing that ties them all together is money, or lack of. All are expensive hobbies on there own, but together it’s just insane. So I have to pick and choose what I do or buy, and I kind of go through a rotation of being into it for a while then onto something else then back again after a while.

I will say the one thing I don’t really enjoy anymore strictly because of the reef tanks is mechanic work, I hate getting dirty and greasy then need to stick my hands in the tank later on.
Couldn’t blame you on that last part.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet, but thinking about giving up one of my bearded dragons for the space, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on it (not literally). Also, all my freshwater fish except my pea puffers are on borrowed time. Will not be buying any more.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef tank in the morning, mechanic work in the afternoon. That is unless you don't like getting your fishy hands all over your tools.

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tank in the morning, mechanic work in the afternoon. That is unless you don't like getting your fishy hands all over your tools.
The other way around would be getting your tooly hands all over your fish... I'd stick with what you're doing.

For me it's video games that have suffered. Not necessarily a bad thing, but reefing is exponentially more costly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back