Didn't wash substrate - Do I live with it or start again?

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an interesting one for you.

When my tank was setup, installer dropped in 3 bags of substrate (Paleo sand) and built rock work for me - Awesome so far - super happy.

However - as a complete noob, I didn't pick up on the subtle detail that the substrate wasn't washed before it went in... And I of course didn't realise that it should have been.

Literally, bag opened, paleo sand in. Marco rocks built. Job done.

Initial water fill was cloudy, but I didn't know if that was the substrate or the rock work - or if this was just how things were (See comment about me being a noob above)

Did a 25% water change yesterday, and thought I'd test vacuuming the gravel with the trusty siphon

Big Mistake. Huge Mistake.

Water instantly as cloudy as a cloudy day in a very cloudy city. We're talking cant see through more than about an inch of water.

And now of course I find videos on trusty YoozToob of people using Paleo sand - and saying that its really important to wash the sand multiple times before putting it in the tank in order to get rid of all of the dust

Multiple Choice Question - Should I...

(a) Stir up as much substrate as I can to create cloudiness from hell - and try to have filter socks / wool pull out the resulting mess [Before I put anything valuable in the tank] ?

(b) Live with it - it'll be fine OR

(c) Pull everything to bits now, wash the living daylights out of the substrate, put it all back together and wish I'd called out the (unnamed) party for getting me into this situation in the first place?

Any / all input more than appreciated - as long as input doesn't involve laughing at me...

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When my tank was setup, installer dropped in 3 bags of substrate (Paleo sand) and built rock work for me - Awesome so far - super happy.

However - as a complete noob, I didn't pick up on the subtle detail that the substrate wasn't washed before it went in... And I of course didn't realise that it should have been.

Initial water fill was cloudy, but I didn't know if that was the substrate or the rock work - or if this was just how things were (See comment about me being a noob above)

Did a 25% water change yesterday, and thought I'd test vacuuming the gravel with the trusty siphon

Water instantly as cloudy as a cloudy day in a very cloudy city. We're talking cant see through more than about an inch of water.

And now of course I find videos on trusty YoozToob of people using Paleo sand - and saying that its really important to wash the sand multiple times before putting it in the tank in order to get rid of all of the dust

(a) Stir up as much substrate as I can to create cloudiness from hell - and try to have filter socks / wool pull out the resulting mess [Before I put anything valuable in the tank] ?

(c) Pull everything to bits now, wash the living daylights out of the substrate, put it all back together and wish I'd called out the (unnamed) party for getting me into this situation in the first place?

Any / all input more than appreciated - as long as input doesn't involve laughing at me...

A noob myself with a gazillion hours of YouTube experience under my belt and a current tank build in progress. I would say leave it and forget it. You already went through the hard part. Maybe siphon one more time if you want and that’s it. Or if it really bothers you and it’s not soo hard take the rock work out scoop up as much sand as possible and wash it but honestly if it were me I would just leave it as is

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First let me say haha and point at you JK second I’d say yes rinse the sand cause you will never get rid of the cloudiness every time you touch sand

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say c, followed by a.
If you tear it down, you'll have to completely tear it down. As the dust will not come out with the sand. But, everything will be clean. I just set up a new tank a couple of weeks ago, and used ocean direct sand, never again. It's taken the better part of two weeks of multiple daily changes of filter floss to get the tank clear.

CelestEel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT go with option B! Every time anything touches that said it will kick up a cloud.
Option C - Remove and rinse! Rinse again. And again. Put it back in the tank.
Now you do option A - stir and let the socks catch what's left.
It will probably still be a little cloudy, but don't worry about it. That will clear up.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to start again. Unwashed dry sand has a TON of crud in it and you'll end up dealing with sand fines for years.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably just try vacuuming small sections of the sand really well during weekly water changes and see if I could make a dent that way. I think the method of attack here also depends on the size of tank and complexity of rock work.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, use a flocculant like SeaChem Clarity.

When you do a gravel vac, don't stir up the substrate. Imagine a grid pattern on the substrate the same width of the gravel vac tube.

Kink the hose after the siphon is created. Slowly unkink as you penetrate the substrate and hit the bottom as squarely as you can. You will see the opaque "cloud of fines" rise up like a plug and when you start to see some clarity through the tube, kink, slowly lift the tube and allow the substrate to gently fall out. Go to the next spot, lather, rinse, repeat.

Refill, add flocculant, change filter pads.

You will have to do this a few times but this is the easiest method.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have nothing except sand rock and water in tank now is the time to do it. You will regret it if not. New sand needs to be rinsed to prevent the clouding. Every time you touch sand water will be cloudy. It will take years if not forever for this to stop happening. If you ever decide to have anything that goes under the sand this will be a forever problem. Nassarius snails, gobys, pistol shrimp, most wrasse. Now is the time to clean the sand

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually go for the easiest solution(and have poured many bags of unwashed sand into running reef tanks). :)
It’s no disaster. Really. It’s probably just dust. It can be filtered out if you think it’s too much. Either by a filter or if you vacuum into a bucket with a filter sock, then put the water back again.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so many other things in this hobby you were going to struggle with along the way why start outs from the start less desirable

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep gravel vac’ing it per the methodology that @wtac listed above and you will be fine. You can just vac it into a filter sock in your sump if you don’t want to wait for water changes.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh. I've never washed sand (because I always use live) and nothing terrible has ever happened. During the cycling process I do a lot of stirring and turkey basting anyway, so a good portion of the dust ends up getting filtered out.

If you paid someone to set up your rockwork, I wouldn't destroy it. You'll never be able to get it back exactly how it was.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand can be thoroughly rinsed with no real negative impact on the bacteria.

Floppyfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do the vacuuming method others have suggested. My sand used to cloud my water as I didn’t rinse it either. After a few times it rid my sand of most of the super fine particulates. Good luck.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back