Dieing birdnest need help it's going fast

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a birdnest 2 weeks ago it did good until just a couple days ago looks like rtn just looking for some guidance or recommendations it's a test coral I just wanted to see if sps would make it in my system it looks like not yet.... I've been reading every one says frag off a peice that looks good but the only branches that are unaffected are tiny like 1/4 inch or less it looks like the polyps are turning black and the flesh is just peeling away
Salinity is 1.026
Alk is 8.5
Phos is around 9ppb
Nitrates..10 little high trying to get down been at 1 for forever trying to get 5 and over shot it
Calc is 480 haven't tested mag in while... Don't know pH any thoughts

PXL_20210518_123005418.jpg

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they do go fast, If it were me I’d frag what’s left but will defer for other perhaps better advice
When you say frag what's left you mean cut off the bad parts and leave on the plug it or try to get a couple peice that are still good I also don't have much in the way of fragging supplies you think a cuticle clippere and a peice of rubble from the back and some glue would get it done

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean find whatever is still alive and seperate it from the dead .... if the only living part is near the plug then yeah, chop the top ...I’ve had plugs crawl back from just a few live green specks. Thing is those take forever to branch and seem to stay in entrust mode forever

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean find whatever is still alive and seperate it from the dead .... if the only living part is near the plug then yeah, chop the top ...I’ve had plugs crawl back from just a few live green specks. Thing is those take forever to branch and seem to stay in entrust mode forever
Thanks allot I will see what I can do

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that healthy leather coral causing it stress

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it there thinking more flow would help I suppose I could move it to sand bed but it was doing that across the tank before it was so close I just bought it f from lfs the light was mounted close to the ceiling like feet from the water I started acclimation at 35 percent of normal I have ai prime hd at a ab+type of setup

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved it there thinking more flow would help I suppose I could move it to sand bed but it was doing that across the tank before it was so close I just bought it f from lfs the light was mounted close to the ceiling like feet from the water I started acclimation at 35 percent of normal I have ai prime hd at a ab+type of setup
The flow seemed to help the toad stool when I moved it up into the flow I'm new in in the first year

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure but i believe it doesnt matter the position they still will be effected because of small water volumes and chemicals theyrelease. Id run carbon or a uv for that.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure but i believe it doesnt matter the position they still will be effected because of small water volumes and chemicals theyrelease. Id run carbon or a uv for that.
I run both actually.... UV isn't very big but it helped me turn the corner in a Dyno battle ....I suppose it could've be cyano....I think it's the second smallest green killing machine and I use the brs rox 8 carbon.... And a little gfo.... Not much the phos is stable at 9ppb been the same for a bit

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both actually.... UV isn't very big but it helped me turn the corner in a Dyno battle ....I suppose it could've be cyano....I think it's the second smallest green killing machine and I use the brs rox 8 carbon.... And a little gfo.... Not much the phos is stable at 9ppb been the same for a bit
Well its probably another issue then

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a test coral for sps I'm thinking the test didn't go so hot I don't have much in the tank I've managed to not kill most things for a year

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back