Dierks 75G Office Build

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I figured I would start up a thread so I could track my new build! (Kinda figured this would be more for myself!)

Well to start, I have built a 40 Gallon Nano Tank and loved every moment of it. I did Battle with a few things being a small tank but the joys you get from a nice tank out weigh the negatives most days. I plan to use most of my old equipment as I overbuilt my small tank knowing that ONE DAY I would build a bigger tank. Fast forward a couple years and I got married, bought a new house and so I figure, with all the other new comes a new tank!!

In the past I have had a 55 Gallon Fresh water for a long time when I was in my 20's, then just built my first Nano reef 2 Years ago so I have been into fish for a while but continue to learn every time I come on here! I am so thankful for this community and I am very excited to be able to build my new tank. (saltwater fish just seem to need more space and now I can provide it to them) I know its not a 100+ gallon, but maybe someday I can get there.... For now, 75 Gallons will have to do!

Stay tuned for pictures and my journey into this build as I am hopeful that it will turn out to be a beautiful build in my home office that I can be very proud of for many years to come!

Any and all input is welcome so feel free to drop me a line or give me your thoughts.

What we are planning for:

• Custom Built Stand/Bookshelf unit in Office
  • 75 Gallon Tank w/ 20 Gallon Custom Sump
    • Algae Scrubber on 16 Hr Cycle
    • Will run small Skimmer 24 HR's Day
    • Active Carbon Filter Waterfall (Like to remove the smells)
  • APEX Controller
    • 2000 GPH in Flow (Will be adjusted through day, with a night schedule)
      • 4 Jebao RW-4's
    • 2 Overflows that move 600 GPH Each (DYI System)
      • Total of 2600 GPH of Flow
    • 3 AI Hydra Lights (Yes the old ones) Controlled by APEX
That is what I can think of, I will continue to edit this post as I update the build. Thanks guys/gals for the support!

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome! Can’t wait for the pictures!

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of my Plans...

I have done some/most of the planning on the PC first. I find it helps a lot to go about these builds with some sort of plan. I included my cut lists as well as I figured that I could share what I have plus save these things for my records as well! :)

This is the basic Framework for the built in's.
BackBuiltIns.jpg

This is the framework in the office. (To the right of the framing I am building my lizard tanks in what was the closet)
Office-TankBack.jpg

"Before" Picture of the real life space I am working with
IMG_20190806_211723.jpg

And we start!! Pre-cut all my wood to make it easy on myself.
IMG_20190806_211809.jpg

Framing was finished tonight!!
IMG_20190807_203754.jpg

We will keep going, I know this is going to take me a bit of time!! I will keep this updated as well as much as I can!!

Attachments

• cutlist.pdf
    285.8 KB · Views: 228
  • cutlist2.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 237
OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we worked on the framing some more, got the tank's main shelf leveled and mostly framed in. We will give it a bit more support in the center as we need to put cabinet below to access the sump. I picked up a 20L today for the sump so that project isn't to far away.

Today again was about the framing, the new framing is in Red and the biggest challenge was to get everything on the nuts for leveling the main tank self.

Red was what was added today.
BackBuiltInsDoneToday.jpg

Here is the actual Build
IMG_20190808_213020.jpg

And of course the most important part... Its Level!!
IMG_20190808_213006.jpg

Til the next installment, I hope all you are doing well!

Dierks

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, another day and a bit closer to the final product! I am simply skinning the built-in. Got some of the more complex cuts done so maybe tomorrow I can cut the large pieces and get the rest of the main cabinet done in regards to skinning. The bottoms will have 2-4 doors for easy access to the sump that will be below and the top will also have easy access to the top of the tank so I can do my tank cleaning. As of right now I gave myself 35" Below!!!! (I learned from my nano and building everything VERY tight.) and am currently;y giving myself 8" above the tank.... Do you think that is enough? I feel like it is, but right now would be the time to change it if I am going to.

As always, computer layout of what was done today. Red is what was added...
DoneToday.jpg

Here are some measurements, I had shrunk the center cabinet by 1.5" to just give myself a tiny bit of wiggle room on the sides. They will be covered by trim so not much difference besides comfort while I build :)

Measurements:
Panels.jpg

Actual Pictures of the Build, its coming along.
IMG_20190810_223026.jpg
IMG_20190810_223000.jpg

Thanks guys for following along! As always any advise is welcome!! Happy Reefing

- Dierks

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, another day and a bit closer to the final product! I am simply skinning the built-in. Got some of the more complex cuts done so maybe tomorrow I can cut the large pieces and get the rest of the main cabinet done in regards to skinning. The bottoms will have 2-4 doors for easy access to the sump that will be below and the top will also have easy access to the top of the tank so I can do my tank cleaning. As of right now I gave myself 35" Below!!!! (I learned from my nano and building everything VERY tight.) and am currently;y giving myself 8" above the tank.... Do you think that is enough? I feel like it is, but right now would be the time to change it if I am going to.

As always, computer layout of what was done today. Red is what was added...
DoneToday.jpg

Here are some measurements, I had shrunk the center cabinet by 1.5" to just give myself a tiny bit of wiggle room on the sides. They will be covered by trim so not much difference besides comfort while I build :)

Measurements:
Panels.jpg

Actual Pictures of the Build, its coming along.
IMG_20190810_223026.jpg
IMG_20190810_223000.jpg

Thanks guys for following along! As always any advise is welcome!! Happy Reefing

- Dierks
Coming along nicely!

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NY_Caveman Thank You so much! Now to find motivation today... I have a feeling I wont start working on it again til after dinner. Til then, i will sit and think about the next moves :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice work so far! It looks really nice! I have a quick question about the tank support that I can't tell for sure from the picture what is supporting the platform that the tank is sitting on. In the design it looks like the only support are the lateral screws/bolts and there is not any structural support underneath the shelf/platform that the tank sits on. Your 75g tank filled with water and rock will be at least 750 pounds so you want to make sure that it is adequately supported. What am I missing?

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct in that assumption right now!!
There will be roughly 3-5 Studs in the front and another 3-5 along the back, plus 2 more studs going in on the sides. Plus the 1 inch sheet of plywood that goes on the front/back will function like a sheer wall. When the entire thing is wrapped in the .5 Skin this should be solid as a rock! If you like, I would love if you kept following along to see the progress of the studs going in and the cabinets being installed. Again the more eyes I have on the project the better so I don't overlook anything!!

I know that the 2x4 can only hold roughly 800 lbs without the supports and screws only have 50lbs each for shear strength. So the supports are on their way!! Thank you so much for the question/comment @Peace River and looking out for the tank/build!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Peace River got me thinking about exactly how many studs I will need to add. After using some calculators for Maximum Span/Defection Calculators with the general rule of "3x more then needed for live load" I have come to the conclusion I can go 2 Ft 8" with 0.003" Deflection with 2400 LBS evenly distributed. So with that being said, I will make it into 3 Doors on the bottom with 3 studs with a span of only 20 inchs!! This doesn't even take in the consideration of the shear wall so we should be in REALLY good shape with virtually 0" of deflection on paper.

Thanks for the the fun thought process before my showing, when I get back we start building again!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are correct in that assumption right now!!
There will be roughly 3-5 Studs in the front and another 3-5 along the back, plus 2 more studs going in on the sides. Plus the 1 inch sheet of plywood that goes on the front/back will function like a sheer wall. When the entire thing is wrapped in the .5 Skin this should be solid as a rock! If you like, I would love if you kept following along to see the progress of the studs going in and the cabinets being installed. Again the more eyes I have on the project the better so I don't overlook anything!!

I know that the 2x4 can only hold roughly 800 lbs without the supports and screws only have 50lbs each for shear strength. So the supports are on their way!! Thank you so much for the question/comment @Peace River and looking out for the tank/build!

Fantastic! It sounds like you have a good plan! Thank you for taking my feedback graciously and in the spirit that it was intended. I hate to be "that guy" but you are building such a nice stand/cabinet system that I wanted to make sure that it would last a long time!

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the build is going the the ugly stage, and seems like the stage that the wife comes to check everything out. She doesn't have much vision so right now all she sees is a bunch of sticks and some plywood. :) But God Bless her soul for allowing me to continue my hobbies (And even go bigger, even if she doesn't know that part) even when it does cost a bit over $10! :)

Anyways, I will continue to work on small parts here tonight but for the most part I think I am done for the day.

Red is what was added today as always:

I got the main Center and main Support beam added. I also got the bottom put in, Wood putty and Caulked. When all that dries, I will drill holes for plumbing to my sump below. Lastly, I will sand and paint the Shelf and add a thick acrylic layer to waterproof and lock everything in to keep it all looking good.
Progress-Monday.jpg

The real deal:
IMG_20190812_205158.jpg
IMG_20190812_205220.jpg

I will get the last two supports added and then I should be able to finish skinning and plumbing this sucker!! She is a big project that is for sure! Excited to see it closer to the final stages!!

Til the next update, we will chat with you all soon!

- Dierks

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels good to be getting closer, I am starting to ruin out of wood cutting steam. Lots of measuring and cutting, and doing it all over again. But I think its coming along nice, I cant wait to see this thing done!!

I started to think of my Sump and how I am going to design it. I will be running a large 12" x 12" Algee Scrubber that will take half the flow and dump into the Pod/Refugium. The other half will go into the 4" Sock and then into the skimmer chamber. Pretty simple but flexible, both sides will have a valve to control flow before entering the tank.

Here is my design:
20GLongSump-75G.png

20GLongSump-75G-Measurements.jpg

Here is what I got done on the build. Getting close!!
Everything done in this last build session is in Red as always:
BackBuiltInsToday.jpg

Real World:
IMG_20190813_204254.jpg

IMG_20190813_204239.jpg

Til Next time, Hope all your little slices of the ocean are doing well!!

- Dierks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great work! This is really starting to come together now! I'm seeing what appears to be screw holes on the front panel - is that panel removable or do you have room to install, work on, and (if necessary) remove the sump?

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’m more impressed with you’re planning and blueprints or the actual outcome. lol looks like you’re well on your way and have done your research! Nice!

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing what appears to be screw holes on the front panel - is that panel removable or do you have room to install, work on, and (if necessary) remove the sump?

Hey @Peace River Its easy to forget how big this build really is!! each one of those openings for what will be the drawers are 18" Wide!! As far as depth, we are working with 22" and height a HUGE 29"!!! I learned from my last build how hard it is to work on things when you cram them in. I am only running a smaller Sump as my Algae Scrubber will be doing most the work before water enters the Sump. So getting my 20G Long (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4 ) or my 29G (30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 18 3/4 ) in and out from under there will be no problem with a small amount of wiggling. Thank you again for your thoughts as I always appreciate them, glad I triple checked due to your questions!!
IMG_20190813_212909.jpg
IMG_20190813_212839.jpg
IMG_20190813_212830.jpg

Looks really good! Great craftsmenship!

Thank You so Much!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if I’m more impressed with you’re planning and blueprints or the actual outcome. lol looks like you’re well on your way and have done your research! Nice!

Thank You so much!! I find both fun, a computer nerd that comes from a family of carpenters/woodworkers.

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So been playing around with colors and I think this is what i am going to go with. It's not fully designed yet but getting a good idea of what it will look like. I think I like #2 better...

#1 - Dark Trim on Hood
BackBuiltInsColored.jpg

#2 - Light Grey Trim on Hood
BackBuiltInsPainted.jpg

#3 - All Dark
BackBuiltInsAllDark.jpg

What do you guys think? What colors would you chose? With suggestions I will virtually paint it and post it to see the results. We will pick the cleanest design :) (I am big into the Retro Look) but the colors I have picked match the room as it is... The good news is that the whole office is being redone so colors can change!

Let me know your thoughts, please simply copy below and fill in the blank with your colors or woods....

Main Color:
Trim Color:
Highlight Color:
Other Ideas to be done:

Thanks and this should be fun if anyone wants to join in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I am doing renders of the Dark with the off white the more I am liking it... What do you think?

Don't worry, much more details will go on the small side cabinets (and main cabinet) before we can call this complete, but would love to pick out my base/highlight and "pop" colors and get what I know done.

Stopped to get my hinges and a bit more wood putty so I can get rolling on the build again tomorrow.

BackBuiltIns#.jpg

BackBuiltInsDark.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back