Different ammonia results

Van Eternal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I just started my cycle using dr tims and I'm currently on day 6, I am keeping an eye on nitrite, ph and ammonia everyday. I recently purchased a salifert ammonia test kit to have a comparison to my redsea test kit. I followed closely to their instruction and seem to get a different reading on both of them which is quite frustrating, on the red sea ammonia test I'm getting a result of 2+, whereas on the salifert its only showing 0.5 ammonia which is very frustrating as I am unsure of which one is showing the true values.
Whats your thoughts on this?

Edit: think i found the cause , the salifert test kit is only showing nh3 , whereas the redsea is comvination of nh3 and nh4.

So during the cycle should i be monitoring nh3+nh4 or only the nh3?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not sure on the difference between the two tests but I would think both should read zero. Anyone else?
There will likely be presence of ammonia especially during a cycle. temperature, shaking the agent well and cleanliness of the test vial all play a part on accuracy off the test.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand his issue as I'm having the exact same issue. My Sali shows 0 as my red sea is off the charts.. I think the question is being avoided.

The ration of NH3 to NH4 is going to change with ph. Which question is being avoided?

image_preview.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back