Different forms of copper with metronidazole, and Hanna Copper HR

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Europe, medications can be very difficult to find. At the moment, it seems my options in terms of copper medications are:
  1. DYI copper sulfate + citric acid (therapeutic range 0.15 to 0.2?)
  2. Cupramine (actual therapeutic range 0.5 to 0.6 for resistant strains?)
  3. Ionic copper (therapeutic range the same as copper sulfate?)
Questions:
  • Are all of these forms of copper easy to test for with the Hanna HI702 Copper high range?
    I'm a bit confused because @Jay Hemdal said in this post that "the high range Hanna checker does NOT work on ionic copper/citric acid formulations that are dosed at around 0.20 ppm", but @Humblefish says here that here the same high range checker does work to test for copper sulfate/citric acid at the same concentration, 0.20 ppm.
  • Are all forms of copper compatible with metronidazole?
  • Do cupramine or ionic copper have any real advantage over the DYI copper sulfate?
  • Which form has the largest therapeutic range (except the chelated ones)? I don't want to re-start the 30 day clock multiple times.
Thanks a lot,

Sorry if the questions are so specific, I just couldn't find any resources online that compare/contrast similar medications and explain any compatibility issues with other medications.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in Europe, medications can be very difficult to find. At the moment, it seems my options in terms of copper medications are:
  1. DYI copper sulfate + citric acid (therapeutic range 0.15 to 0.2?)
  2. Cupramine (actual therapeutic range 0.5 to 0.6 for resistant strains?)
  3. Ionic copper (therapeutic range the same as copper sulfate?)
Questions:
  • Are all of these forms of copper easy to test for with the Hanna HI702 Copper high range?
    I'm a bit confused because @Jay Hemdal said in this post that "the high range Hanna checker does NOT work on ionic copper/citric acid formulations that are dosed at around 0.20 ppm", but @Humblefish says here that here the same high range checker does work to test for copper sulfate/citric acid at the same concentration, 0.20 ppm.
  • Are all forms of copper compatible with metronidazole?
  • Do cupramine or ionic copper have any real advantage over the DYI copper sulfate?
  • Which form has the largest therapeutic range (except the chelated ones)? I don't want to re-start the 30 day clock multiple times.
Thanks a lot,

Sorry if the questions are so specific, I just couldn't find any resources online that compare/contrast similar medications and explain any compatibility issues with other medications.

Sorry, Humblefish is wrong on this. The Hanna High Range has an accuracy of 0.05 ppm. That is NOT sufficient for dosing ionic copper at 0.15 to 0.20 ppm. The Hanna low range is the one you need to use. It has an accuracy of 10 ppb, or 0.01 ppm.

Jay

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, Humblefish is wrong on this. The Hanna High Range has an accuracy of 0.05 ppm. That is NOT sufficient for dosing ionic copper at 0.15 to 0.20 ppm. The Hanna low range is the one you need to use. It has an accuracy of 10 ppb, or 0.01 ppm.

Jay
Thanks a lot for the quick answer.
Have you used the Hanna low range with salt water? Does it work in your experience?
Hanna said in this post that you shouldn't get the low range to for use with saltwater, I am bit confused.

Trying to get some clarity. I also asked a LFS that sells both but they have no clue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for the quick answer.
Have you used the Hanna low range with salt water? Does it work in your experience?
Hanna said in this post that you shouldn't get the low range to for use with saltwater, I am bit confused.

Trying to get some clarity. I also asked a LFS that sells both but they have no clue.

Well, if Hanna says no, then you can't use it. The low range tester also uses the bicinchoninate method and that does work in seawater, but perhaps at the lower range, other salt ions interfere?

Like I said though, the accuracy and range is wrong for the High Range tester and you cannot use it accurately with copper/citric acid copper products.

I'm not sure that copper/citric acid is even available in the US any more - the big three copper products are all high dose copper/amine products.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back