Different Types of Pulsing Xenia

jbholasingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we compile a list in this thread of the different types of "Pulsing Xenia Corals". Please include common names and scientific names if you can along with a picture that you think is representative of that type. Any additional information/personal experience with that type of xenia would also be greatly appreciated.

Some common Xenia look-alikes would be useful for redirecting people who are in the wrong thread. I think Cespitularia is commonly mistaken for xenia as well as clove-polyp.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can we compile a list in this thread of the different types of "Pulsing Xenia Corals". Please include common names and scientific names if you can along with a picture that you think is representative of that type. Any additional information/personal experience with that type of xenia would also be greatly appreciated.

Some common Xenia look-alikes would be useful for redirecting people who are in the wrong thread. I think Cespitularia is commonly mistaken for xenia as well as clove-polyp.
Technically, "pulsing" is one of the types of Xenia.

I can add a couple that I've had, the common ones:
Waving hands Xenia
Pulsing Xenia

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pictures is of a Pulsing Purple Xenia that I just moved in to a specimen container to try to get it to naturally attach to a frag plug, the two previous attempts at gluing it failed. I believed the water flow was to strong for it and it was shrinking in size. After placing it into the specimen container it is slowly starting to open up, while moving it on to the frag plug base, in the specimen container the Xenia dropped a few polyps.
I
1624734867015.png

This picture shows a few single polyps from the Pulsing Purple Xenia. I can now understand how easly this coral can spread.

1624735137869.png

1624735196307.png

1624735288900.png

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a red Xenia that tidal gardens sells that’s gorgeous. It supposedly does not spread fast too

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ruby red Xenia. It’s one of my favorite corals. Pulses like the regular Xenia and doesn’t spread all over the place

Attachments

• 4BA4CCDB-2B44-4790-B6E0-6A74681201AC.png
    4BA4CCDB-2B44-4790-B6E0-6A74681201AC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 404
  • 60BD1CFC-09A1-49EC-A95F-DAF848F16E97.png
    60BD1CFC-09A1-49EC-A95F-DAF848F16E97.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 444

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No. It’s different. Red Sea pulsing Xenia is the more common one you see

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby red Xenia. It’s one of my favorite corals. Pulses like the regular Xenia and doesn’t spread all over the place

I have been tempted to get this coral for a while now. but would hate to regret it if it took over the tank.
and you tell us more about its growth rate? does it drop polyps?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tempted to get this coral for a while now. but would hate to regret it if it took over the tank.
and you tell us more about its growth rate? does it drop polyps?

Mine hasn’t dropped polyps so far (10 months later) and grows fast but is not invasive in my opinion. It’s kept on an island and I have trimmed it one so far.

Unfortunately I don’t have its scientific name as it was sold to me as « pulsing xenia » and…. it doesn’t pulse !

3FBAC719-D32F-4FC7-83C3-8F8EDC693472.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hasn’t dropped polyps so far (10 months later) and grows fast but is not invasive in my opinion. It’s kept on an island and I have trimmed it one so far.

Unfortunately I don’t have its scientific name as it was sold to me as « pulsing xenia » and…. it doesn’t pulse !

3FBAC719-D32F-4FC7-83C3-8F8EDC693472.jpeg

thanks for the replay. they say they pulse to create flow for them selves. so many your in is to high of flow? IDK just a thought, but yeah if they dont pulse they I am not gonna risk it. haha

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replay. they say they pulse to create flow for them selves. so many your in is to high of flow? IDK just a thought, but yeah if they dont pulse they I am not gonna risk it. haha
I’ve tried shutting down the pumps to see if it would pulse but it never did. I can’t have my flow lower than that.

There are species that don’t pulse; mine is one of them. It’s really pretty though and my cardinal banggai really likes it.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal gardens already kinda made one, but heres the list i find
Pulsing xenia or xenia elongata - this xenia has pink tentacles have very long stalks.
Pompom xenia - has blue coloring, stubby stalks.
Silver xenia - basically a pompom xenia with long tentacles
True blue xenia - looks like a waving hand anthelia but infact a xenia, they do infact pulse but very mildly.
False xenia (thats what i called it but its called blue xenia) is actually not a xenia but a cespitularia idk i spelled that right.
Silver branching xenia - seems like a morph of silver xenia but branch more.
Theres also a new soft coral that pulse and unrelated to xenia forgot what its called.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal gardens already kinda made one, but heres the list i find
Pulsing xenia or xenia elongata - this xenia has pink tentacles have very long stalks.
Pompom xenia - has blue coloring, stubby stalks.
Silver xenia - basically a pompom xenia with long tentacles
True blue xenia - looks like a waving hand anthelia but infact a xenia, they do infact pulse but very mildly.
False xenia (thats what i called it but its called blue xenia) is actually not a xenia but a cespitularia idk i spelled that right.
Silver branching xenia - seems like a morph of silver xenia but branch more.
Theres also a new soft coral that pulse and unrelated to xenia forgot what its called.
I forgot to add ruby red xenia which looks like pulsing xenia but red
And the most expensive xenia which is the giant bali xenia, again looks like a pulsing xenia but apparently gets massive and doesnt spread.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back