Difficult to decide between Radio G5 XR15 and combo Kessil A360x / Aquatic-life

RedMantaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I cannot take a decision between 3 radio G5 XR15 and a combo Aquatic-life + Kessil a360x.

My tank is a peninsula (custom) with the following dimensions 50in X 30in with a height of 20in.
The population will be a mixed reef of 40% SPS, 50% LPS, and 10% others

In term of costs, let's say that the 3 radions and the Kessil(s)+aquatic-life is similar.

My tank is large 30in but because it's a peninsula, the sides have 5 to 10 cm of sands allowing the placement of clams and LPS.
The reason I thought 3 radions Ecotech XR15 were enough, their low profile using an RMS hanging kit allows me to have clean design.
The Kessil associated with an aquatic-life fixture (48in) would allow me to cover the entire surface of the tank preventing future shadowing with a nice shimmer and spectral of Kessil a360x.

I was thinking to place the fixtures at 8in.
Other people suggested also 2 xr30 but then the cost is higher and I think it could be overkill but maybe I am wrong and underestimate the required output.

PS: currently, I am using 4 Mitras lightbar of 43in.
Very happy with that but they are reaching the end of life (> 40000 hours of operations)

Suggestions? Can I bet on Radions XR15 ?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Radion G5 XR15 blue, can’t speak personally on the Kessil, but know many also love them. I’d recommend you watch the BRS lighting video in which they discuss all these lights, discussing PAR readings and suggested spacing etc. for sps being the dominantly majority, the Radion has really good par levels but for a 50” long tank I’d probably do 4 XR15” to be honest unless you did 3, spread them fur5er and supplemented with Kessil is an option too?

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i *love* my radion g5s. The spectrum is awesome, I get great color and growth with my acros. I truly believe they are the gold standard. That said, w/ less demanding corals i don't think kessil vs radions is anything except looks and cosmetics.

even though t5 users and mh users wont admit it, the leds have made insane strides in catching up with growth now that the technology is much better w/ regards to spectrum + spread.

I wold only get an Aquatic life if money was an issue and I couldnt buy the proper amount of LEDs for spread

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and if I had to do it over I'd go all Kessil.

Kessil pro/cons:
Pro: Color blending. The "Kessil shimmer" is so much better
Pro: Ease of use.... 2 adjustments. need I say more

Cons: Ease of use. If you are one of those guys who likes to mess with settings go Radion
Cons: Intensity. The radion definately puts out more light.

Radion
Pro: Seems to have more spread and intensity (could be just my perception)
Pro: Controllability. Mobius isn't a bad app once you get used to it.

Con: Disco ball! Not as bad but still there.

U

User1

View Badges
the new 360x addressed the cons you listed the wifi dongle opens up other spectrums and the narrow lens takes care of the par end

With the a360x's you can:

Mount low - less light spread and spill due to wide angle lens
Mount high - more spread and coverage with a bit more spill
Mount high - add 90 degree lens - less spill, punch through tall tanks (30"), focus on special coral, clam, etc
90 degree lens - narrow light from 130 degree default and increase par if mounted at same height

No other light on the market can do this honestly and that lens adaptor is key. Kessil a360x is stupid simple to use and without a controller probably one of the easiest lights to use and grow healthy corals. Par numbers may not look great compared to others (it is a 90 Watt light I believe after all) but Par does not equal success. We are starting to understand this more and more. It is a number.

In any case the Kessil a360x is a great light. Nice form factor. OP you have to decide what is best for you. I think either light you picked will work if truth be told. I'd also consider ATI straton and Philips coral care gen 2. I'm biased as I like my Kessil's but the other two I noted are great. There are threads on each that may help you choose or make you pull out hair because you have more choices :)

Moia44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. I saw both on display and honestly the Radions bring out better colors to my perception. The tank I saw with the Kessils look kind of bland that’s why you have to supplement them with T5s or Reefbrites. The Kessil shimmer it’s great if you like shimmer.
I ended going with Radions because they’re better stand alone lights. You can always supplement but it isn’t as necessary as Kessils. Also the Radion blues doesn’t have that disco effect as prominent as pros, but you can buy th diffusers. The Radions without the diffuser have a nice shimmer too, I bought them but don’t use them. The optimum mounting height of the Radions is 8 inches which is the same as the Kessils if I’m not mistaken.
I don’t regret my decision and would buy them again. Although in the future I would like to try in a tank just Kessils.

I think you can’t go wrong with either one. They’re great lights.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these on my 120g

Attachments

• 20201209_154150.jpg
    20201209_154150.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 106

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a a360x 8 inches over a waterbox 20. This is my first Kessil. Zoanthids right now is all I have in there. Any thoughts on my schedule? I was at 50% intensity for about four hours I moved it up to 60% after doing a little research. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• BF04158F-DA7A-4B37-99BB-148BDAF3889E.png
    BF04158F-DA7A-4B37-99BB-148BDAF3889E.png
    247.2 KB · Views: 81

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a a360x 8 inches over a waterbox 20. This is my first Kessil. Zoanthids right now is all I have in there. Any thoughts on my schedule? I was at 50% intensity for about four hours I moved it up to 60% after doing a little research. What do you guys think?

Wow? On a 20? How deep is it? I have 2 A160WE kessils- and I think your light is more powerful then both mine combined on my lagoon/frag tank 24X24X12, and my LPS,RBTA,bird's nest coral are doing great and growing good.

Anyways, my settings are half of yours. Heres my schedule:

8" above water
12:00= 5%color- 10%intensity
13:00= 30%- 25%
18:00= 20%- 20%
19:00= 15%- 10%
21:00= 0%- 5%
22:30= 0%- 0%

Last edited:

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow? On a 20? How deep is it? I have 2 A160WE kessils- and I think your light is more powerful then both mine combined on my lagoon/frag tank 24X24X12, and my LPS,RBTA,bird's nest coral are doing great and growing good.

Anyways, my settings are half of yours. Heres my schedule:

8" above water
12:00= 5%color- 10%intensity
13:00= 30%- 25%
18:00= 20%- 20%
19:09= 15%- 10%
21:00= 0%- 5%
22:30= 0%- 0%
It’s 16 inches deep and I’ve got the light 8 inches above the water.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just now getting it all set up that’s why I’m looking for some suggestions. I don’t wanna fry everything in it. I haven’t really found anybody that has their settings listed? I appreciate you putting that up there for me, thank you!

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah,I see. It's bad butt light you got. I have ZOAS too and they on sandbed 11" and at those settings I have, it's more then plenty light and they fully open. So you should be more then good imo.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back