Difficulty Identifying Algae

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to help me ID this algae? This is a good example of it in my sump, but it is also present in my tank. It is brown/red and forms long strands from the rock work. I’m running a 525 xl with carbon and gfo reactors. Bare bottom, tank has been established about three months. Not able to test nitrates or phosphates at this time.

98C7EA91-2580-48C0-BE69-46EB901E28AA.jpeg
AE7B43A0-3C55-4F23-840C-59894F18005B.jpeg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be algae or even bacteria. Put it under a microscope and post pics. You can pic up a cheap kids one at Walmart or take a sample to your local high school and see if the science teacher will put it under the scope for you.

OP
OP
Travis Wagner

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed what I would describe as a very sour smell coming from the water during water changes, and if the water sits undisturbed after the change it is an absolutely rancid odor.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon for the oder. It sort of has a dino look to it. Nitrate and phosphate levels would help confirm. Dinos typically get worse during the day and slightly better over night. You can take a sample and mix it in a cup of tank water until it is completely broken up. Then wait 15 minutes. If it reforms a clump, then it's dinos.

OP
OP
Travis Wagner

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon for the oder. It sort of has a dino look to it. Nitrate and phosphate levels would help confirm. Dinos typically get worse during the day and slightly better over night. You can take a sample and mix it in a cup of tank water until it is completely broken up. Then wait 15 minutes. If it reforms a clump, then it's dinos.
Do you have a specific carbon-type that you recommend? I think I have some rox 0.8 I can run. I’m also working on increasing my flow rate, I measured it at 120 gph so I’m changing my plumbing and getting a larger pump. I’ll try the dino test as well. Is current thought for Dinos that I need to increase no3 and po4?

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any carbon will do. I recommend doing smaller amounts and changing it out weekly.

The current dino treatment is to dose INORGANIC forms of nitrate and phosphate while not doing water changes. Organic sources like over feeding will not be as effective and increase other things too like sulfer. Pull any phosphate and nitrate media too. Reducing light intensity and duration will also help most strains.

OP
OP
Travis Wagner

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current dino treatment is to dose INORGANIC forms of nitrate and phosphate while not doing water changes.

Do you know of a good source for this? I started increasing feedings but didn’t realize it should be an inorganic form.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaChem Flourish for phosphates and Spectrocide stump remover for nitrates are what I used. Spectrocide is 100% KNO3.

OP
OP
Travis Wagner

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve swung the balance so that the dino has diminished or is almost gone- but I don’t appear to have any algae growth. I haven’t had to clean the glass in weeks. I’ve got a yellow tang and my clean up crew going strong for now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back