Digitate Hydroids

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm walking past the tank at 1:30 am last night.....yes, crabs is a night owl. And I saw an unbelievable amount of digitate hydroids all over the place. Does anyone know of a predator or a way to get rid of them? Or at minimum reduce their numbers?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm walking past the tank at 1:30 am last night.....yes, crabs is a night owl. And I saw an unbelievable amount of digitate hydroids all over the place. Does anyone know of a predator or a way to get rid of them? Or at minimum reduce their numbers?

Starve them out and pluck any that are causing problems. Mine didn’t last long.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted similar question this morning. I have thousands growing all over including sand on snails everywhere. I need to do something as well. I am even in a fallow period and haven’t fed rank in a month and still there unaffected. I am thinking a copper and butterfly when done with fallow as I heard they MAY help

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pluck them out with tweezers, careful not to drop any.
As a side note when i removed mine i wiped them onto a paper towel and then foolishly wiped my hands off with said towel....stung quite a bit...so be careful....

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pluck them out with tweezers, careful not to drop any.
As a side note when i removed mine i wiped them onto a paper towel and then foolishly wiped my hands off with said towel....stung quite a bit...so be careful....
Only issue is they pull back into their hiding places really quickly. The second they sense me near them they dart for the shadows

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how different they are but I finally got rid of my colonial hydroid infestation. Combination of fenbendazole cut them back by a lot. Any one I have seen since that, I pull the rock, dry it, bleach it, dry it bleach it, dry it and only then can it go back in the tank.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how different they are but I finally got rid of my colonial hydroid infestation. Combination of fenbendazole cut them back by a lot. Any one I have seen since that, I pull the rock, dry it, bleach it, dry it bleach it, dry it and only then can it go back in the tank.
What no flame thrower ???

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue is they pull back into their hiding places really quickly. The second they sense me near them they dart for the shadows
Ya def got to be quick with them. I found it helped coming from the side and not directly over them.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could do this but with thousands it is impractical. Crabs, I wish you success pulling. I may try the fendendzole

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could do this but with thousands it is impractical. Crabs, I wish you success pulling. I may try the fendendzole
I treated with fendebazole a month ago and noticed 4 in my tank last night. I may treat again and hope a second dose knocks them out for good.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any luck @Crabs McJones? i to have them. Not practical for manual removal in most of there locations. these little pricks are the devil, i swear. What is Fendebazole treatment? Ever time I ask anything about information on these guys, I get no further ahead. Even on askbrs nothing. Soooo annoying, mine are even out under full light, they could care less.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any luck @Crabs McJones? i to have them. Not practical for manual removal in most of there locations. these little pricks are the devil, i swear. What is Fendebazole treatment? Ever time I ask anything about information on these guys, I get no further ahead. Even on askbrs nothing. Soooo annoying, mine are even out under full light, they could care less.
Same here. i noticed they're getting even higher in numbers in my sump between my fuge and my return chamber. Swaying in the current. Haven't been effective at removing them yet.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed fendabazole last night. I literally had thousands of these digitate hydroids. They were even growing on my snails. Amazed me how they were even growing on the sand. Well. After 12 hours so far I can only see a couple but look like shriveling. I will be beyond joy if eliminated but happy even if I get down to a couple. Even though they didn’t bother corals they bothered me greatly.

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dosed fendabazole last night. I literally had thousands of these digitate hydroids. They were even growing on my snails. Amazed me how they were even growing on the sand. Well. After 12 hours so far I can only see a couple but look like shriveling. I will be beyond joy if eliminated but happy even if I get down to a couple. Even though they didn’t bother corals they bothered me greatly.
What is the process for Fendabazole?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. i noticed they're getting even higher in numbers in my sump between my fuge and my return chamber. Swaying in the current. Haven't been effective at removing them yet.
Literally useless manually removing, their so hard to get at. I'm honestly shocked by the lack of information on them? I've tried to just relax and let it be, but currently annoyes me sooo bad

Back