DILEMMA! 180 Glass or 300g Acrylic ?

csnmusic02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea acrylic scratches but if you are easy with everything should be a problem I like it cause the weight and chemically bonds together

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So there is mixed reviews.

Part of me wants to go with 300 gallon acrylic so I have so much room for plenty of livestock in the future.

And then the clarity plus scratch resistant Glass makes me want to do the 180 gallon.

Ahh help

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is mixed reviews.

Part of me wants to go with 300 gallon acrylic so I have so much room for plenty of livestock in the future.

And then the clarity plus scratch resistant Glass makes me want to do the 180 gallon.

Ahh help
It’s a lot of work but I’ve seen acrylic scratches repaired while the tank was still running. The owner used a few different grit sizes with a strong magnet glass cleaner to get the job done. If you scratch glass too deep you got to live with it.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acrylic, get the extra space for the future.
Almost everyone out grows their tank, so plan ahead and go bigger...
I am build a 300 acylic now...at the adding water stage.
Been taking me some time since I even built the two sumps and the 2 chamber refug out of extruded acylic...
check out my thread for ideas....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the acrylic. Kids throwing **** around can’t break it and all scratches can be removed. It’s bigger and has better clarity and a good acrylic tank will last forever. You won’t worry about seam integrity from moving it. All you need is a good acrylic magnet.

I have a small 7g acrylic that has been up 7 years now and only has one tiny scratch that I did when I dropped some metal tongs. Would be easy to buff out but can’t even find where the heck it is anymore.

I love some of the acrylic displays on this forum and some have been up for a long while and look great.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many acrylic tanks for over 30 years… currently a 200g and 500g reefs… wouldn’t take a glass tank for free, especially a used one!

people that don’t like acrylic have usually not had one… people that like acrylic have usually had glass, and have no desire to repeat that mistake.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back