Dino’s and their relationship with phytoplankto. Is phyto working where peroxide failed?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short.

I was about to be extremely busy so I increased my skimmers run time, incorrectly. I shut off the timer and let it run full bore for a few weeks. The algae I welcome to grow on my glass stopped growing and ultimately vanished. My white substrate became new looking and before I realized it, Dino’s. I had stripped my tank clean.

I started over feeding and was dosing perixide 1mm/gal/day. Half broadcast in the evening at lights out. And the other half diluted with tank water .5 ml h2o2 : 10 ml tank water. Then spot treated the worst with all the pumps off and let that sit for about 5 minutes. Also did physical removal and the 3 day black out with this regimen going. It wasn’t working. Maybe keeping the dinos at bay. But that’s it.

2 days ago I started doing the .5 h2o2 broadcast. But instead of the peroxide dilution spot treatment, I gave my daily dose of phyto as a spot treatment to the most effected areas, injected into the substrate with the syringe.

the dinos aren’t coming back. Is my head deceiving me? Is phyto plankton eating or taking it out dinos?

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have taken photos and done this in a more controlled manner. It was just an off the cuff thought. I may as well try it because what I was doing wasn’t working.

I am also considering diluting the phyto with tank water so that I can cover more space with the spot treatment.

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put like 5ml of ocean magic on this spot on the rock I should've taken picture but honestly I didn't think is was going to do much.
20210820_205450.jpg

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had all the pumps off and just used a plastic syringe to apply. Im also using uv to help fight the dinos.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back