Dino’s or cyano? Regardless, sucks

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, a pretty silent member for about a year now. I am looking for help with my 125G sps tank. It is currently about 4 months old. It was started with dry rock and dry sand. I used a lot of MB7 to kickstart the cycle to start adding fish. Ammonia and nitrates were gone after three weeks.

Everything started great, low nitrate and phosphate. I made the stupid mistake of running GFO when phosphates were only at .08. Quickly fell to 0 and nitrates skyrocketed. Up to 50 at one point, several water changes done and phosphate currently being dosed at a crazy rate to just maintain .01.

It was loaded with new little sticks at one point and I have slowly pulled everything out and put into a 40 breeder because I started losing stuff due to both cyano and this.

I ran into a bad cyano issue a few weeks back, black carpet stuff all over everything, chemi clean worked magic and after a few weeks this started... please help (will never go all dry again!)

Nitrates: (recently lowered down to) 2 to 5ppm
Phosphate: (barely) .01 ppm
Alk: 8.4dkh
Calcium: 450ppm
Mag: 1350
Specific gravity: 1.026
Temp 80-81

Dosing on pumps: RedSea Trace Colors, calcium, alk, mag, kalk, chaetogro

Running: Carbon & biopellet reactors, skimmer, socks, refugium

E4AC715D-E4B9-4EB0-90C2-F44DE5F2B1F8.jpeg B1A2426A-273D-402A-8B70-228A2D502B6F.jpeg B4A9E34B-1FA5-4725-99D0-33BF9BAF339B.jpeg

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience my dude let it runs its course pull the gfo stop dosing let the tank mature an find its own stability rather than you pulling all the levers.

if you let nature handle this it will, keep striping the water an fighting an it won't

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a microscope? You need it to ID what you have. If chemiclean had done it’s magic what you have left is likely Dinos but you need to ID it to know which treatment works for your stain.
if it was killing corals it can be one of the more toxic ones but again it is just speculation.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a microscope? You need it to ID what you have. If chemiclean had done it’s magic what you have left is likely Dinos but you need to ID it to know which treatment works for your stain.
if it was killing corals it can be one of the more toxic ones but again it is just speculation.
from what he said he moved corals so if he just lets nature do its thing feed the fish. siphon it out when it builds up but no coral foods nothing to fuel it let the good bacteria come back an get a foothold

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what he said he moved corals so if he just lets nature do its thing feed the fish. siphon it out when it builds up but no coral foods nothing to fuel it let the good bacteria come back an get a foothold
Yeah the corals are safe for now

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dino

Raise the phosphate. This will take care of it.

Also, raise the nitrate to stop cyano from coming back.

In other words, feed heavily. If you have a high waste export system, you need high food input.

OP
OP
K

kagisexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dino

Raise the phosphate. This will take care of it.

Also, raise the nitrate to stop cyano from coming back.

In other words, feed heavily. If you have a high waste export system, you need high food input.
Thanks, kind of the conclusion I’ve come to based on research. Just crazy how much phosphate my system is consuming.

Edit: I ran GFO for 3 days a month ago and have dosed 700ml of neophos and still can’t break .01

Last edited:

jlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely eradicated ostreopsis dinos (identified w/a microscope) from my tank after countless hours of reading through threads here. My phosphates and nitrate were both zero when they hit. I followed the Elegant Corals method found here while running a UV straight from the display. Took about 2 weeks and there wasn't a trace. I have kept the nitrates and phosphates up with no detriment to my corals and it's been months since I've seen any trace. I still run a UV but it's no longer straight from my display, I have it hooked up in my sump. Good luck, they were annoying while they lasted

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back