Dino again

apexreefer203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is now the second time I’ve had Dino in this tank. First time I beat it with dr.Tim’s. Doesn’t seem like it’s going that way. Any recommendations? Nitrate 20-30ppm phosphates.07-.08 I tested multiple times. Filtration is a UV and skimmer. I need permanent solutions not a bandaid

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is now the second time I’ve had Dino in this tank. First time I beat it with dr.Tim’s. Doesn’t seem like it’s going that way. Any recommendations? Nitrate 20-30ppm phosphates.07-.08 I tested multiple times. Filtration is a UV and skimmer. I need permanent solutions not a bandaid
Try adding some pods and dosing Algaebarn's OceanMajik Live Phytoplankton. Turn off the UV to give the pods and phyto a shot.

The permanent solution would be to keep up nitrates and phosphates.

Don't let those bottom out to zero.

If need be, hold them up by dosing chemicals forms, not overfeeding with fish food. Overfeeding will just add more rot.

Also culture (fully cycle) any new dry rock before adding it to a reef. Dinos may grab hold of it before good bacterias have a chance to take hold and bed in.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
A

apexreefer203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any insight into how this happened when nutrients are up? I really can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong here

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any insight into how this happened when nutrients are up? I really can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong here

Make sure to test with proven kits
Nitrates - Salifert
Phosphates - One of the Hanna ULR checkers

Need to microscope (ID) what you have to make sure you're dealing with a strain of dinos.

OP
OP
A

apexreefer203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to test with proven kits
Nitrates - Salifert
Phosphates - One of the Hanna ULR checkers

Need to microscope (ID) what you have to make sure you're dealing with a strain of dinos.
Red Sea nitrate and Hanna for phosphates

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, it's just a natural part of the cycle. I ran into this a couple times when my nutrients were low. If your nutrient levels are good (like you said) check your lighting and flow. I reduced my lighting to 8 hrs a day and used a more pulsed (agitated) flow, and they slowly started getting out competed by healthy green algae. Also as @GoVols said adding pods and reef magik can help a ton.

You may want to up your CUC. They will not take care of your problem, but they will help maintain good husbandry, and help prevent future outbreaks.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevated nitrate and phosphate helps competition but not killing Dinos.
Dinos always present in a reef but imbalance of water conditions gives upper hand to them.

OP
OP
A

apexreefer203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really frustrating. Things were running great until a couple days ago. The other question is how to get rid of the ghr after?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really frustrating. Things were running great until a couple days ago. The other question is how to get rid of the ghr after?

Add the pods, dose the pod juice and bulk up on your cuc.

Going to need to be patient and keep your reef stable.

FWIW:
The last time I got dinos was by adding five-year-old live rock that sat in the garage and put it straight in the display without cycling it.

Will never do that again... :(

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC = Clean up Crew. Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, Starfish etc.
If you don't have a CUC already I suggest you get one. They can be inexpensive and the most beneficial part of your tank. The suggested method is 1 snail and crab for every gallon, but I think that is overkill. I run a 100g display with 8 Astrea snails, 8 Nassarius Snails, 8 blue legged hermits, and 1 cleaner shrimp and everything seems to be fine. It's about 1 for every 10g.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a CUC already I suggest you get one. They can be inexpensive and the most beneficial part of your tank. The suggested method is 1 snail and crab for every gallon, but I think that is overkill. I run a 100g display with 8 Astrea snails, 8 Nassarius Snails, 8 blue legged hermits, and 1 cleaner shrimp and everything seems to be fine. It's about 1 for every 10g.

lol
Like having a small royal or pincushion urchin too... :)

Back