Dino? Best way to treat?

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed these small silver balls and a reddish brown film .. more on the back of my rock. How do I stop this from spreading!?

516DB250-CEB3-4A0D-A5D1-56CFDC1FEC96.jpeg 2BB10468-C04E-4CFA-828D-4CAA86CC965B.jpeg 7E539869-F239-4C98-A088-EA4408C9A1D4.jpeg

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I def plan to now! Although I’m looking this morning with a flash light and don’t see them anymore …. lol
After the lights have been off all night? IIRC they will recede at night. I would try to get a shot under whites. Im dealing with a mild outbreak myself

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the lights have been off all night? IIRC they will recede at night. I would try to get a shot under whites. Im dealing with a mild outbreak myself
I had someone come over with a par meter and help me set up my light so now I’m nervous to adjust anything until I learn this app better. hydra 32

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 hour black out. Put a sheet over it...no lights...limited feeding..turn your protein skimmer up a little..run carbon. I just got through a dino outbreak. Didnt completely get rid of 'em but enough that my other bacteria can compete again.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to avoid a blackout bc of my corals. And I have a 25g Biocube… would 3% hydrogen peroxide or Microbacter 7 do anything to help it?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to avoid a blackout bc of my corals. And I have a 25g Biocube… would 3% hydrogen peroxide or Microbacter 7 do anything to help it?
It depends. If in the early stages of a dino outbreak..then yes...less aggressive treatment works. But once they take hold and start outcompeting..it becomes a lot harder to let it self rectify. What are your nitrates and phosphates? I found when these numbers are bottomed out..dinos come on strong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends. If in the early stages of a dino outbreak..then yes...less aggressive treatment works. But once they take hold and start outcompeting..it becomes a lot harder to let it self rectify. What are your nitrates and phosphates? I found when these numbers are bottomed out..dinos come on strong.
I have to do a water test again after a water change and cutting down feeding. I’m sure they aren’t perfect though since the tank is newer.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to do a water test again after a water change and cutting down feeding. I’m sure they aren’t perfect though since the tank is newer.
Cutting down feeding is actually one of the reasons why your numbers bottom out which can lead to dinos. You want at least minimal amounts of nitrates and phosphates. Trying to starve your aquarium because you worry about too high of nitrates and phospates usually triggers the dinos. I shoot for about 10 nitrate and .03 phosphates. It is when i let my Cheato take everything out of the tank is when the dinos come back. I actually dose nitrate and phosphate in my ATO to ensure i always have minimum levels in the tank.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting down feeding is actually one of the reasons why your numbers bottom out which can lead to dinos. You want at least minimal amounts of nitrates and phosphates. Trying to starve your aquarium because you worry about too high of nitrates and phospates usually triggers the dinos. I shoot for about 10 nitrate and .03 phosphates. It is when i let my Cheato take everything out of the tank is when the dinos come back. I actually dose nitrate and phosphate in my ATO to ensure i always have minimum levels in the tank.
I’ve been talking to my LFS about replacing the black filter sponge, carbon and stuff my tank came with with something else. The filter is making the water stagnant in the back. And I only cut feeding a tiny bit. My salt got a little out of whack recently but everything in the tank coral and fish wise is happy still. Just not sure what the first step I should take here is. I really don’t want to do a blackout if I can avoid it.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just natural light where the bubbles were last night.

Attachments

• 74B3A1C7-20F8-4EF6-945C-82267CE83F42.jpeg
    74B3A1C7-20F8-4EF6-945C-82267CE83F42.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 53

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been talking to my LFS about replacing the black filter sponge, carbon and stuff my tank came with with something else. The filter is making the water stagnant in the back. And I only cut feeding a tiny bit. My salt got a little out of whack recently but everything in the tank coral and fish wise is happy still. Just not sure what the first step I should take here is. I really don’t want to do a blackout if I can avoid it.
If just a couple of bubbles here and there..you can probably work on you water chemistry and try not to go drastic. Looks like just starting..so you should have a shot of avoiding the black out.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue came on from 0 po4 and no3. Its a struggle to get them up. Im relatively sure they came in on a few turbo snails from the lfs. They were the first to have the bubbles and slime. My past experience with them, peroxcide and black out didnt work. I ended up breaking down the tank and cleaning everything on a 90g. I feel like the peroxcide caused issues beyond dinos for me. i lost alot of SPS in that fight. Things have changed so much I hope drastic measures arent required but stay on top of it. If it comes back, a cheap microscope can tell you alot. Good luck!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting dinos atm, and looks like I’m getting on top of them, no more have appeared in 2 days, after 4 days of treatment.

What I did was remove them, I cleaned the tank as much as I could, the back chambers etc, return pump etc, siphoned out as much as you could, then blow the rest off the rocks and into fine filter floss, I turned up my powerheads as full as I could take them, for a couple of hours and reduced to give the fish a break for a while, did this a few times the first day, I removed the rocks and scrubbed them daily, it was amazing how much came off what looked like clean rocks, I turkey basted the sand, after doing this and giving time for all the dinos to get trapped into the floss, changed the floss.

I also added phytoplankton daily.

I believe the key was staying on top of it, not giving the dinos time to settle, the powerheads I believe play a big part in not giving them time to settle and turkey basting the sand.

Cleaning the powerheads after a treatment was important too as the dinos would cover the powerhead.

No blackout, no reduced lighting.

Important to keep an eye on your PO4 and nitrates with all this cleaning as you don’t want them to drop, I fed extra heavy during this time.

Last edited:

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing Hydrogen Peroxide and phyto after my new tank bloom and it's killed 90% in 2 weeks.

I also scrubbed rocks and vacced out the sand for the last 2 water changes.

I run Ozone and UV, I couldn't imagine how bad they would be otherwise.

OP
OP
diamondreef

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing Hydrogen Peroxide and phyto after my new tank bloom and it's killed 90% in 2 weeks.

I also scrubbed rocks and vacced out the sand for the last 2 water changes.

I run Ozone and UV, I couldn't imagine how bad they would be otherwise.
I’m thinking about trying Hydrogen 3% Peroxide but I’m not sure how much to put in my 25G Biocube or how often

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back