Dino, Blackout and Parameters

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ya'll,
Not sure if this is where this belongs or not but figured since it involves dinos I'd give it a shot.
My lil reef is still just a newborn and I have been dealing with dinos for well just about a week after it finished its cycle when everything dropped to 0 I have been having a hard time getting my nitrates up they have remained at or near 0 for around 8 weeks now I think so I decide to try the three day black out to kill the dinos my question is more about my parameters in relation to the dino black out this is what has been normal (tested all Sunday)
PH 8-8.2
Ammonia 0-trace
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-trace
Phosphate 0-trace
Calcium 200 (going up)
Alkalinity 17 (going down)
Temp 76-78
Salinity 1.026

O.K. so now here is what I have now after blacking out all sides except back yesterday at 1800
PH 8
Ammonia .5
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 5.0
Phosphate 0-.25
Calcium 380 ( have been dosing Code A)
Alkalinity 13
Temp 76
Salinity 1.026

I am currently using the API thus the reason for the 0-trace readings can't really tell I will get better equipment soon. Would my rapidly elevated Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate be due to the blackout killing the dinos?
Oh and skimmer went nuts overnight too

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Ya'll,
Not sure if this is where this belongs or not but figured since it involves dinos I'd give it a shot.
My lil reef is still just a newborn and I have been dealing with dinos for well just about a week after it finished its cycle when everything dropped to 0 I have been having a hard time getting my nitrates up they have remained at or near 0 for around 8 weeks now I think so I decide to try the three day black out to kill the dinos my question is more about my parameters in relation to the dino black out this is what has been normal (tested all Sunday)
PH 8-8.2
Ammonia 0-trace
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-trace
Phosphate 0-trace
Calcium 200 (going up)
Alkalinity 17 (going down)
Temp 76-78
Salinity 1.026

O.K. so now here is what I have now after blacking out all sides except back yesterday at 1800
PH 8
Ammonia .5
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 5.0
Phosphate 0-.25
Calcium 380 ( have been dosing Code A)
Alkalinity 13
Temp 76
Salinity 1.026

I am currently using the API thus the reason for the 0-trace readings can't really tell I will get better equipment soon. Would my rapidly elevated Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate be due to the blackout killing the dinos?
Oh and skimmer went nuts overnight too
Ammonia and nitrate likely from dying Dino which can release toxinsss BBC and organically that is if you have a correct reading as API IS less than reliable

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and nitrate likely from dying Dino which can release toxinsss BBC and organically that is if you have a correct reading as API IS less than reliable
What is BBC? I will get all of the Hannas over the next couple months. I thought the sudden increase was because the Dinos dying but couldn't find a thread that said what would happen during the blackout.
P.S. (not this thread but Clown is doing great not sure what the deal was)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is BBC? I will get all of the Hannas over the next couple months. I thought the sudden increase was because the Dinos dying but couldn't find a thread that said what would happen during the blackout.
P.S. (not this thread but Clown is doing great not sure what the deal was)
BBC is a typing error from stupid word correct
Should have said can release toxins and organics

OP
OP
TMC

TMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start of day three of blackout just wanted to share my observations. First current readings still with API tests so accuracy is questionable I am however consistent in how I use them so it should give me at least a reference point.
PH 7.8
Ammonia .25-.5 (dropping)
Nitrite .25-.5 (dropping)
Nitrate 10-20 (rising)
Phosphate .25 (rising)
Calcium 400 (rising)
Alkalinity 12 (dropping)
Temp 78
Salinity 1.027

Now my deductions from all of this (please someone tell me if I am correct or correct me if I am wrong) my dropping Ammonia and Nitrite and rising Nitrate and Phosphate tells me that the initial whack to the Dinos is over and that my filter is working converting the Ammonia from the sudden death of the Dinos to Nitrites and then further converting that to Nitrates. I have been dosing Microbater during the blackout and have continued the Code A and feeding as normal. I do believe the first battle with this nasty snot covering pest has been effective, before the blackout my overflow tube was completely covered inside with it and is now crystal clear I don't know about the rock yet since I can't see in (I have peeked in enough to check on the fish and they all seem O.K.). I think my Salinity probably increased slightly do to the tank being covered and less evaporation my Calcium continues to rise and my Alkalinity drop due to the dosing Code A only and not Code B as well yet. My skimmer has been working overtime and I have had to dump the cup everyday and its very thick nasty smelling sludge I have also had to change the sock everyday as well.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back