Dino day

vincentg29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I got dinos sadly. First time getting them so this is my first time trying to get rid of them. I’ve done some reading and a UV sterilizer isn’t too practical for me. I’ve already tried dosing some peroxide but that seems to have done nothing, I’m thinking of raising the nitrates and phosphates a tad since they’re both sitting at 0. Basically if anyone could try to ID the type of dinos that’d be nice, I don’t have a microscope unfortunately so the pics might not be much help. But am I going in the right direction to battle them? Lmk pls cause I want these guys gone

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dino id can't be done without a microscope. Raising nitrates and phosphates seems to really help fight them off. Hopefully someone can give some advice that will help your situation.

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was new (still is) I had a dino outbreak. My tank cycled for like 2 months and then after about a week after putting stuff in it and new lights I had a dino outbreak. I got the Green Killing Machine 9 watt and it completely cleared it up in like 2-3 days. I read many things of people saying it wouldn't be strong enough, but I figured what the worst that would happen? If it doesn't work in like a week or two I can just return it. Needless to say IT WORKED.

This is where I got mine:

They also offer a bigger version but it was too big for my tank:

(Posting on multiple threads for people)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that looks much more like green hair algae. Most everyone's photos of dinos including the dinos I had looked like a brown air bubble filled snot. Uv was the only thing that worked for me.

Attachments

• 20210510_161031.jpg
    20210510_161031.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 21

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be dinos, but looks more like chrysophytes to me.

When you baste at off, does it remain clumped or kinda dissolve?

Can try the coffee filter test:
Take a sample of the gunk along with some tank water
Shake it up real hard to dissolve it
Pour the water through a coffee filter into another glass jar. Solution should be fairly clear.
Leave the jar under some lighting for an hour. If it clumps back up you have dinos.

A microscope would be next.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back