Dino Help! Please

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried everything from 3-day blackout to Perxiode dosing, and the Dinos only keep getting worse. My tank is still young like under 6 months old, and I don't have much coral so I'm thinking of going with DINO-X. Has anyone had any long-term sides from this? I know you can overdose this but want it gone.

My tank parameters are
Alk 9.5
Cal 400
Mag 1440
Phosphate .02
Nitrates .0

Along with DINO-X im going to dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos should i be dosing anyting else?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have tried everything from 3-day blackout to Perxiode dosing, and the Dinos only keep getting worse. My tank is still young like under 6 months old, and I don't have much coral so I'm thinking of going with DINO-X. Has anyone had any long-term sides from this? I know you can overdose this but want it gone.

My tank parameters are
Alk 9.5
Cal 400
Mag 1440
Phosphate .02
Nitrates .0

Along with DINO-X im going to dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos should i be dosing anyting else?
3 day not enough and your nitrate at zero if accurate not helping- In essence you are keeping tank too clean.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 day not enough and your nitrate at zero if accurate not helping- In essence you are keeping tank too clean.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I just followed this exactly and it had no effect on mine either. I think its dependent on the specific type of dino. Mine are Amphidinium and dont seem to be effected by anything. I'm currently trying silicate dosing as well as pods and live phyto in addition to the h2o2 and waste away. I've also been running UV 24/7 for weeks.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just followed this exactly and it had no effect on mine either. I think its dependent on the specific type of dino. Mine are Amphidinium and dont seem to be effected by anything. I'm currently trying silicate dosing as well as pods and live phyto in addition to the h2o2 and waste away. I've also been running UV 24/7 for weeks.
Did you raised your nutrients to a detectable level?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you raised your nutrients to a detectable level?

Yup NO3 5-10ppm and PO4 0.06. Been that way for about a month now.

20221202_154140.jpg

20221202_154214.jpg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup NO3 5-10ppm and PO4 0.06. Been that way for about a month now.
You just need to add a bit of nopox now, 0.5ml per 25gallons a day.
there is a article on here that explains the method more to detail if you like

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just need to add a bit of nopox now, 0.5ml per 25gallons a day.
there is a article on here that explains the method more to detail if you like
If you're referring to this thread, I've already read and commented on it a while ago. They found that Xepta NP was more effective than NoPoX, but that both work. Either way, I've already been carbon dosing at night with MB Clean. I may pick up a bottle of Xepta and see if that makes a difference.

OP
OP
leighton.bingham

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this worked for me. have no Dinos left and did a water change my coral are all very healthy looking and my NO3 and PO4 are on the rise.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're referring to this thread, I've already read and commented on it a while ago. They found that Xepta NP was more effective than NoPoX, but that both work. Either way, I've already been carbon dosing at night with MB Clean. I may pick up a bottle of Xepta and see if that makes a difference.
Yes did you gradually increase the dose also? The goal is to reach a level we’re the heterotrophic bacteria will take over the ammonia in the system starving the dinoflagellates that way

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes did you gradually increase the dose also? The goal is to reach a level we’re the heterotrophic bacteria will take over the ammonia in the system starving the dinoflagellates that way
I have not exceeded Brightwells recommended dose, as the carbon content of the product is unknown. Like I said in the previous reply, I'm going to try Nopox at the experiments tested dosing schedule and proceed from there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It works on amphidium and ostreo as I had both and many who I give this recipe to beat both. Did you by chance miss a step, or not clean filters daily, add peroxide, etc?

Rico's Reefnecks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I wound up in a similar situation to you and wound up going with DinoX. I scraped as much out manually as I could first, then followed their dosing instructions and went for a little over 2 weeks as I recall, following another 2 day blackout. It worked. A couple montis that I had died, but were looking pretty sad from the dinos too. My other coral including a hammer, some acans, and a trachy survived. I haven't had them come back since, have been doing a better job keeping nutrients up (especially phosphates - fingers crossed)

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works on amphidium and ostreo as I had both and many who I give this recipe to beat both. Did you by chance miss a step, or not clean filters daily, add peroxide, etc?
No. All my steps are outlined above.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank parameters are
Alk 9.5
Cal 400
Mag 1440
Phosphate .02
Nitrates .0

Hi! Hey I have used Dino X, and it works okay, I just really think Dinos will always come back unless you have a UV sterilizer hooked up. Do you have one of those yet? If you do, here's how I usually get rid of Dinos in 6-8 days (this has ALWAYS worked for me):

Back