Dino Help

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon. I have been dealing with dinos for months now. My NO3 is 10, PO4 is .03. I have a 25 watt UV with new bulb and the tank is 70 gal actual volume. Ive been dosing silica, working to keep the dinos in the water column, etc. Nothing has helped. The dinos do disappear at night but come right back at daybreak. Thank you for any help or suggestions
0DF5EE18-6F16-42A4-99C6-B4918390C0A9.jpeg
A4BE7C2B-97A7-455F-8D59-FD03CC49EB26.jpeg

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cranked my tank temp to 84 and won the battle, but it was a “manageable”amount of Dino also now dose nitrogen and phosphate, my filtration a tad too good.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just skimming through your threads it looks like you've had a nutrient issue for almost a year. Starting with something strange in your sump last September, what is the background of this tank is it live rock, sand ? What are you using for filtration, better yet do you have a picture of the tank and filtration? :) I've had dinos a few times, and just recently but all clear now

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My theory is you have to run them out of town with good guys. Once you get NO3 and PO4 up, then find a way to add other microbes to out compete them. Pieces of live rock, live sand, or AquaBiomics sells live rubble from time to time. It can take months. Dealt with them twice.

OP
OP
S

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think the nutrient issue was mostly a testing issue. Salifert always showed as high and when I got Hannah for NO3 and PO4 I found I was at zero on both. I worked over the last few months to get both up to the current levels. I have a sock, skimmer, fug with macro, and UV. Live rock and sand.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I think the nutrient issue was mostly a testing issue. Salifert always showed as high and when I got Hannah for NO3 and PO4 I found I was at zero on both. I worked over the last few months to get both up to the current levels. I have a sock, skimmer, fug with macro, and UV. Live rock and sand.
I've dosed iron a few times for them and seems to help I don't want to say anything factual because I don't know, but its interesting if you can find any information on it.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three day complete blackout then repeat as necessary. You can turn on lights temporarily to feed the fish. Also, a uv sterilizer will get rid of them if they are the ones that move in the water at night.

Back