Dino id help

chefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm trying to ID the dino that I have in my tank. I knew something was wrong when all my snails were dying in my aquarium so I did a test after a couple of hours in the tank all my snails were falling and were upside down so I made a small quarantine tank and put them in that tank, suprise they were fine the next day. One week later I put them back in my main tank and after a couple of hours they would get paralyzed so I put them back in the quarantine tank and the next day they were fine so I figured out that I have some kind of a toxic dino.

I tried Dino X, I would see less brown stuff on my rocks but after a couple of doses 3 of my fish died. I guess because the dino was dying and I had to remove the carbon so the water got toxic. I also tried peroxide, raising the temp to 82f, raising nitrates and phosphates. Would it help to try a UV sterilizer with these type of dinos? I will try to put a link of the video.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like ostreo. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you obtain some still pics through your microscope with a little higher magnification? I don't believe they are ostreopsis by their movements.

OP
OP
C

chefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreo. Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly
I did everything except the bacter 7 and the dinos always come back.

OP
OP
C

chefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you obtain some still pics through your microscope with a little higher magnification? I don't believe they are ostreopsis by their movements.
I guess I need to buy a better microscope because that's the max magnification on that cheap microscope. Would an UV help?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I need to buy a better microscope because that's the max magnification on that cheap microscope. Would an UV help?
Maybe some still pictures if you can't raise the magnification. The quality of the video seems like it is a decent scope and should have higher mag abilities, though. At least with a picture, we can zoom in a bit to see the dinos better...can't zoom in a video.

I'm leaning toward small cell amphidinium by their movements, though. Ostreopsis don't move like the ones in the video. If I am correct in my assumption, UV will not work well with small cell amphidinium dinos. I battled and beat small cell amphidinium dinos...it is not a quick fix as others in the message string above imply with such a simplified "recipe" for success. Research the "Elegant Corals Dino/Cyano Treatment" on R2R...this is what finally turned to tide on my battle. It is a complex treatment and must be done precisely...but it worked well for me. Small cell do not respond quickly to blackouts...I've done 9 1/2 day blackouts and they still survived. I've dosed double the amount of peroxide as recommended...minimal effect.

Last edited:
Back