Dino ID (Microscope Pics Inside)

Deltec

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been battling this brown/red algae for months. It seems to go away completely at night, as well as show other signs of being dinos. I bought a microscope and took these pics. Can anyone help me ID these? I have a new UV Sterilizer in place sized for my system at 3 watts per gallon, have turned off my algae scrubber, am skimming VERY dry, and give all the rocks and sand a daily dusting using a turkey baster.

IMG_0114.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg

BRS
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
From my observation I can see a beak and "roomba" like movement, so probably amphidinium? I'm not sure...

OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
After coming across what appeared to be a "giant" version of what I had seen swimming around before, it now seems like I actually have both large and small cell Amphidinium. Good news that I can at least target the small cell with my UV, and raise nutrients to combat the large cell. I will upload a photo showing the two sizes soon.

taricha

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
it now seems like I actually have both large and small cell Amphidinium. Good news that I can at least target the small cell with my UV, and raise nutrients to combat the large cell. I will upload a photo showing the two sizes soon.
agreed.

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
curious. What was the magnification setting? I'm struggling to get a clear image from my microscope.

Deltec

When is the last time you vacuumed your sand bed?

• A week ago

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • A few weeks ago

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • A few months ago

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • It's been 6 months or more

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • It's been over a year

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • It's been several years

Votes: 4 3.2%