Dino ID (Microscope Pics Inside)

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've been battling this brown/red algae for months. It seems to go away completely at night, as well as show other signs of being dinos. I bought a microscope and took these pics. Can anyone help me ID these? I have a new UV Sterilizer in place sized for my system at 3 watts per gallon, have turned off my algae scrubber, am skimming VERY dry, and give all the rocks and sand a daily dusting using a turkey baster.

IMG_0114.jpeg
IMG_0120.jpeg

OP
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my observation I can see a beak and "roomba" like movement, so probably amphidinium? I'm not sure...

OP
OP
klimfish

klimfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After coming across what appeared to be a "giant" version of what I had seen swimming around before, it now seems like I actually have both large and small cell Amphidinium. Good news that I can at least target the small cell with my UV, and raise nutrients to combat the large cell. I will upload a photo showing the two sizes soon.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it now seems like I actually have both large and small cell Amphidinium. Good news that I can at least target the small cell with my UV, and raise nutrients to combat the large cell. I will upload a photo showing the two sizes soon.
agreed.

flat6guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curious. What was the magnification setting? I'm struggling to get a clear image from my microscope.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back