Dino ID (or whatever this is if not Dino’s)

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my microscope and had some fun lookin at all the swuigglies in my samples, but I am actually fighting and seemingly gaining ground over last week in my battle.

I know ID is important for Dino attack plans, curious if anyone can help or if they have an ID chart handy. Thanks

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F4D84093-AD92-4B67-8538-45A36550313D.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda tough to make out from that still photo. If the microscope is maxed out, you can zoom with your camera to get another 2X or so magnification. Video (hard to do I know) is even better as the swim pattern is often the best tell.

@taricha has some great images and videos linked in this document that you can compare to.

Once you get the ID, you can consult this article that attempts to consolidate treatment suggestions.

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda tough to make out from that still photo. If the microscope is maxed out, you can zoom with your camera to get another 2X or so magnification. Video (hard to do I know) is even better as the swim pattern is often the best tell.

@taricha has some great images and videos linked in this document that you can compare to.

Once you get the ID, you can consult this article that attempts to consolidate treatment suggestions.

Did my best, I need to make an iPhone rig for this scope, or figure out how to utilize my DSLR….

Let me know if these videos help at all

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like osteo
There is ONE cell at about 00:30 that has the motion of Ostreo, circling around a tethered point. Shape is not quite there though. Not pointy enough on one end. Also, the general lack of movement tends more toward prorocentrum but without more magnification I cannot confirm for sure. Otherwise LC Amphids.

tagging @taricha

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is ONE cell at about 00:30 that has the motion of Ostreo, circling around a tethered point. Shape is not quite there though. Not pointy enough on one end. Also, the general lack of movement tends more toward prorocentrum but without more magnification I cannot confirm for sure. Otherwise LC Amphids.

tagging @taricha

Gotcha, thank you. Man I was way off, they looked like little spinning seeds to me! I will adjust my attack

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tagging @taricha
I didn’t see the classic sesame seed shape of ostreopsis neither.

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tagging @taricha

I will try to get a better magnification tonight. I grabbed a shelved aquauv setup and built the hang on rig recommended. Very few Dino’s today…..

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to get a better magnification tonight. I grabbed a shelved aquauv setup and built the hang on rig recommended. Very few Dino’s today…..
If you have a UV, I think it is always a good idea to deploy it even when still in doubt about the ID. Four out of five common dinos will swim. Only the LC Amphids cling to sand tenaciously.

It is also very common to have >1 species, so by definition one will swim if you have more than 1.

Phone zoom will enhance magnification if you've not tried that yet.

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a UV, I think it is always a good idea to deploy it even when still in doubt about the ID. Four out of five common dinos will swim. Only the LC Amphids cling to sand tenaciously.

It is also very common to have >1 species, so by definition one will swim if you have more than 1.

Phone zoom will enhance magnification if you've not tried that yet.

So here’s what I’ve done, microbacter 7 daily, and added any Aqua uv advantage 15 watt I had laying around to install on it when I posted this up. I had also purchased an Aqua uv 25w classic at the same time to put on my separate main display that was also sitting, so I built a pvc hang on rig for it and added that too, so the advantage is down in the sump and the classic is up in the display. Waking up yesterday I had about 5 strings instead of the typical 30-40, and today upon first inspection I have only seen one, that’s at “regular” light schedule and duty cycle minus skimmer and filter socks.

Don’t quote me here, and god if you’re watching I’m just saying….. I think it’s working!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back