Dino ID please!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspect Amphidinium or Ostreopsis.

Had an outbreak in July 20 and got under control with UV filter. They are still largely under control, do not have long stringy mats but I do have a persistent sand bed problem pretty much last 5 months or so. In July suspected Ostreopsis (see old pic below) and when got better with UV thought that was confirmation. Now I'm not so sure, I don't expect to ever be completely clean but with sand bed looking worse throughout day and better in morning (overnight) although never completely clean which is different than July - sand bed was clean every morning and if I blacked out tank.

Also, this is just sand bed, rocks are clean (mostly - some minor GHA). July 20 outbreak infested rocks (and killed almost everything in tank - all but three corals and two fish). Don't really want to go through that again. The population does seem much less than last year - so maybe it's just something I'm going to learn to live with.

So could someone confirm which species of dinoflagglate I'm dealing with and if it's same as July last year?

Still running UV. Haven't changed anything else. Daily 2L water change, 2-3 ppm NO3, .05 ppm PO4.

Thanks!

PS - first vid background is wife vacuuming house...second vid is clock chiming...hope it's not tolling doom for my tank again.

Today's Pics/Vids

IMG_20210227_124755347.jpg

From July 20

IMG_20200701_135701925.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Osto
First- Check phosphates and nitrates to assure theyre not elevated.
Here is full program:
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15%) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

OP
OP
Quietman

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was still thinking Ostreopsis but nice to get confirmation. Means my UV is still managing ok. I don't have stringy globs anywhere, but now may be good time to try and knock em out. The lighting schedule and cleaning sounds solid and is what I did last time. Trying Dino X for first time. I bought it last year but didn't use it as the UV worked and my corals had been through the ringer. They're healthy now and I think will take a DinoX treatment.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back