• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Dino ID

iaa12

View Badges
Reaction score
I posted this in the Critter ID forum, but this seems like a better place for it. Sorry, new here, somehow I missed the dedicated forum.

These guys are growing over patches of the sand. Looks brown under the LED lights, but when you take them out, it's green. Looks like dinos to me, can anyone tell what kind? They move around a lot, seems to change shape from round to elongated, and don't spin around like they're tethered.

Little bit of background, I'm rehabilitating a neglected tank. Only 4 small fish, some zoas. Cleaned things up, maybe too well, nitrates/phosphates down to 0. Dosed nitrate back to 2ppm with potassium nitrate and phosphates to 0.1 ppm two days ago. Dosing Vibrant every 3 days.

What do?

IMG_1565.JPG

taricha

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
but when you take them out, it's green.... They move around a lot, seems to change shape from round to elongated, and don't spin around like they're tethered.
Looks and sounds like euglena. Not a dino.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Following along, I'm having a problem and I dont know if its dinos or smth else.
Take a look at these, they have some good info.

The PDF Below is created by @taricha

Attachments

Zoanthids.com
OP
I

iaa12

View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I cleaned up the microsocope lenses, zoomed in all the way on my phone, and got a much better video of these critters. One of them is moving around and you can spot a flagellum. Maybe two, because as I'm looking around on the internet trying to figure out what this is, the closest match seems to be Chlamydomonas reinhardtii - a type of green algae found pretty much everywhere. Regardless, I think aggressive cleaning of the sand bed caused a bloom. These guys reproduce FAST.

Any further opinions on ID and/or control welcome. Nitrate at 5ppm, phosphate at 0.05 currently.

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • NO

Votes: 119 49.4%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 112 46.5%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors