Dino ID?

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a move of my RedSea 350, I have a large outbreak of what I believe is dino. My SPS acropora tank is not too happy about it. Neither am I.

Could you please identify the dino species in the attached video? It might help me in figuring out the best attack.

Attachments

• Dino in RS350 210910.mp4
    7.5 MB

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn't working. I've seen loads of videos not working on here lately. Can you take some pics?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn't working. I've seen loads of videos not working on here lately. Can you take some pics?
Too bad the video is not working for you. I thought the movement helps ID them. Here a photo of them. It is little out of focus. I could try taking a better one later.
Dino in RS350 210910.jpg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it's working now. Visually it's a crap shoot but it's definitely dinos. The movement looks like amphidinium to me.

Last edited:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a thread on here where someone posted a bunch of videos for comparison. I'm not the most tech savvy guy or I'd link it for you. I'm still figuring out what all the little buttons do. The posted videos have a longer run time so it will be easier to judge based on what you're seeing under the scope. :)

Last edited:

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad the video is not working for you. I thought the movement helps ID them. Here a photo of them. It is little out of focus. I could try taking a better one later.
Dino in RS350 210910.jpg
It's does but it sounded like you weren't completely sure they were dinos. I figured a picture would at least confirm that much.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it's working now. Visually it's a crap shoot but it's definitely dinos. The movement looks like amphidinium to me.
I looked up some dino videos. I have a hard time telling the difference, but it does look like amphidinium, but ...

I also read that amphidinium does not make strands. Mine definitely makes long strands. I am afraid it might be Ostreopsis.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope not. Those are way more toxic. The thread with the videos is simply titled Dinoflagellate Identification Guide. The first post is the download. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I found the article by Begnaud. He writes about two types of Amphidinium ... the Large Cell which does not produce strands and the Small Cell one, which does. Also the small cell has tendency to be all over the tank which would fit. I now need to figure out how to measure the size of this thing ... small cell is much smaller ... about 10-15μm.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the magnification settings as a guide? Does the article list under which setting each first becomes clear? Or perhaps you could track down that info.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that sells microscope glass with scale. I forgot I had one of those. So here is the image of the measurement. As far as I can tell they are 20-30 μm.

Dino in RS350 210910 - scale.jpg

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update:

I added UV
I added bacteria
I also started to dose nitrate (it was close to zero)
I turned the lights off (48 hours as of now)

I see significant improvement. There are no more gas bubbles and the slime is also much better.

I plan to continue the above, but turning the lights on after 52 hours.

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an update:

I added UV
I added bacteria
I also started to dose nitrate (it was close to zero)
I turned the lights off (48 hours as of now)

I see significant improvement. There are no more gas bubbles and the slime is also much better.

I plan to continue the above, but turning the lights on after 52 hours.
Which bacteria and nitrate dosing did you use?
I've been battling brown hair algae that I fear may be Dino...lost a few fish after I tried manual removal that I fear may have released toxins. I'm going to try running a UV with no lights for a few days, and if you've seen improvement with upping bacteria and nitrate I may try the same!

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which bacteria and nitrate dosing did you use?
I've been battling brown hair algae that I fear may be Dino...lost a few fish after I tried manual removal that I fear may have released toxins. I'm going to try running a UV with no lights for a few days, and if you've seen improvement with upping bacteria and nitrate I may try the same!
I use Bacto Blend, but I think it really does not matter. Don't use nitrate, if you measured it and it is in the range. Mine was just too low. I use Sodium Nitrate, but increased feeding can do the same.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back